Happy Mother's Day everyone! Well, all you mom's out there anyway.
I got this from GodChecker. Since I am going to the Third Level of Hell, I figure this is one of the gods that I might meet there. Don't miss out on the fact that this lovely god had wives. And not just one, two. This guy is the original Bluto.

Deity of the Day for Sunday 8 May 2005
LUMALUMA - From Australian mythology
Picture of LUMALUMA

God of Gluttony and Gate-crashing.

He started off as a whale who came ashore at Cape Stewart in the guise of a man who knew sacred rituals which he was happy to share. However, when it came to food, he took more than his share, declaring himself sacred so that only he could eat at feasts.

Consequently everyone stopped inviting him, but this made no difference as he turned up anyway. He only had to see smoke from a fire and he could time his arrival to perfection. (We all know people like that.)

Fed up with eating left-over scraps, LUMALUMA became partial to consuming dead children. That was the final straw and a seething mob set upon him and his two wives with sticks and stones and spears.

Like an ancient martyr he took some time to die. Partly because he was as big as a whale but mostly because he asked them to slow down so he could make sure they understood all his sacred rituals. When they thought he was dead enough, they propped his body against a tree, tied it in place with ropes, and built a shade hut over him using branches. Rumour has it that he didn't die after all but returned to the sea as a whale.

3 Comments

Close this window Jump to comment form
Blogger sideshow bob said...

I'm going to try declaring myself sacred so I won't feel guilty for eating all the Skor bars in the freezer.
But please, no sticks and stones (they break my bones, you see).

May 08, 2005 7:23 PM

Blogger evilsciencechick said...

I think I went to college with LUMALUMA. He always drank up all the free booze at the party and then would try to feel up all the girls.

ugh. there was nothing sacred about him!

May 08, 2005 9:24 PM

Blogger Sask 1 said...

I actually think i'd be fed up eating scraps myself.
June

May 09, 2005 11:05 AM

0 comments:

About