I was looking for new blogs using the interest section in my profile. I found Michael Thompson's blog under The Venture Brothers (they so rock!). He was talking about some trouble that he was having with the IRS and used the phrase in this post's title. I left him this story about my own personal experience and felt that it would make a great post. Here's how it went:

Years ago I had an "ass-raped by the government" experience with my home state. I sent them the tax forms filled out with a check for about $80 which is what I owed. A few months later they wrote to say that they had the check but no forms and they needed those. So I sent them copies. A few months later they sent me a penalty letter saying that they had my forms but no check, so now I needed to pay a penalty and the taxes I owed. I called them up. "Send us a copy of the cancelled check." I did. They said that they wouldn't accept it. I had my bank write them a letter. Then I get another letter saying that, OK, they admit they got the check, but they were still going to charge the penalties because it had taken so long to resolve the issue. I wrote them back and told them basically what assholes I thought they were and that they could take their penalties and shove them up their ass. I got a letter back telling me it would need to be settled in tax court. The time and date that they chose was during my working hours. The amount that I would have lost not working and driving the six hours round trip to the court house ended up being more than if I just paid the penalties. Bastards!

5 Comments

Close this window Jump to comment form
Blogger Tayster said...

I am sooooo going to name an album that when I have my own rock band.

I guess at 33, I better hurry and get that rock band.

May 09, 2005 1:32 PM

Blogger Weary Hag said...

Cripes. Why is it that government agencies are so completely inept? Nevermind... just answered my own question there.

May 10, 2005 5:18 AM

Blogger pastamasta said...

Hey, it doesn't get any better over this side of the Pond... I remember spending many soul-destroying hours trying to convince the Revenue (our equivalent of the IRS) of my tax exemption for savings when I was just out of college... I ended up spending more on postage stamps than I saved in tax, because they kept claiming that they hadn't received any of my letters. Nine-sided bastards!!

May 10, 2005 8:00 AM

Blogger canuk said...

No kidding!!! I recently filed my income tax for the last year. Here I sit trying to live on the piddly little amount they give me every month on disability pension as my only source of income (which I paid into for the last 50 years I might add), and they turn around and tell me I owe them over $1000.

So I guess it doesn't matter what country you live in, the government will always find a way to give you an "Ass-rape".

May 10, 2005 8:57 AM

Blogger Sask 1 said...

I figured out long ago you cant argue with the government.They are right,you are wrong end of story.
Damn i hate taxes and paying them.
June

May 10, 2005 9:40 AM

0 comments:

About