A coworker was asking me the other day if I was going to another coworker's graduation party; motioning to the card that was placed on the commons counter.

Me: Her party? [Pft!] No. She doesn't like me.
Her: What makes you say that?
Me: Well whenever I try to talk to her she acts like she can't hear me at first. Then when I say it again she gives me that look like I'm totally wasting her time.
Her: Huh, she talks to me all the time.
Me: Yeah, I know. She talks to everyone. So I know she can actually talk. It's not because she's mute or shy. She just doesn't like me.
Her: [distraught] Well, why doesn't she like you?
Me: [matter-of-factly] I don't know. And really, I don't care. I don't need everyone to like me.
Her: [sheepishly] It would bother me if someone didn't like me. I'd have to know why.
Me: It doesn't bother me. I just figure she's decided that she has enough friends or she's a stuck up bitch I don't want to know anyway.

This got me thinking, how many people, putting themselves in my situation, would be really bothered to find out that this person really didn't like them?
Background Info: We have worked at the same place for the last three years. We haven't necessarily worked together, except a few times (right now, about 4 hours each week). I have never been able to hold a conversation with her, because she has always acted this way toward me. I get along with all my other coworkers just fine; in fact they are just shocked to hear that she might not like me.

Oh, like right now she just left without saying goodbye- everyone here says goodbye to their shift partner when they leave. It's just the friendly thing to do.

13 Comments

Close this window Jump to comment form
Blogger evilsciencechick said...

It would bug me a little, especially if I've always been nice to that person. But I would get over it pretty quickly. I don't waste much time on pouty bitches or stuck up assholes.

May 06, 2005 3:44 PM

Blogger crazygramma said...

We have one of "those" people in our office, I don't worry about it I like me.

May 06, 2005 10:19 PM

Blogger Lyvvie said...

If it were me; I would just assume I used to date her boyfriend, and I was *way* better than she was.
And he lets her know about it.
And he asks about me.
And I have the cheek to not remember him.
And I'm prettier.
And funnier.
And I can wear that blouse much better than she.
And I would feel sorry for her.

Pity. Pity. Pity.

See. It's just jealousy. And aren't I (er, you) so much the better person?

May 07, 2005 2:59 AM

Blogger Jennifer said...

I would have to know. It would drive me crazy not knowing why.
But I probably wouldn't ask... I hate being confrontational at work.

May 07, 2005 8:07 AM

Blogger Sask 1 said...

If she wants to be like that.Just let her.Its her loss.
June

May 07, 2005 10:15 AM

Blogger Karla said...

I would stew about it, and wonder why, worrying what i did, but then I might get annoyed, and THEN I would kill her with kindness. But syrupy sicky sweet to her, you know?

May 07, 2005 10:32 AM

Blogger The Doc said...

I'd say it depends on the situation. I mean, I'm usually pretty secure about myself and don't care what other people think of me, but if it's someone I otherwise respect, then it eats away at me a little at a time.

Your whole "I don't care" attitude is the best way to deal with the situation. Lyvvie's is the most fun, but yours is more...emotionally healthy.

May 07, 2005 12:26 PM

Blogger Shannon said...

It would bother me. You really haven't had any conversations or previous contact. I don't think it would drive me crazy, but I'd want to know.

May 07, 2005 1:04 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Oh yeah Doc, if I respect the person and they give me the cold shoulder that would bother me. Then I might ask. But really, it is hard to maintain respect for someone who is an asshole to you and never has the decency to let you know why.

May 07, 2005 1:15 PM

Blogger sideshow bob said...

You better not have been with her boyfriend...that would piss me off.

May 07, 2005 1:53 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

These are all great responses!
ESC- ditto
Crazygramma- I like me too
Lyvvie- funny! (and welcome to my blog, great to have you!)
Jennifer- you're so sweet. I bet you are a lot like the girl I was talking to in this dialog.
Sask- oh yeah, ditto on that!
Karla- I actually have done that to a few people who have treated me like this (yes, there have been others, hence the title) and I find that it REALLY pisses them off!
Doc- (oh I already commented on that..)
Shannon- Exactly, I know it can't be anything that I have said. If it is something that I have done...well either way she should tell me.
SSB- Awe, you're so jealous. That's adorable.

May 07, 2005 5:28 PM

Blogger Weary Hag said...

Oh I can so relate to this at my own job. Out of about 200 people I mingle with everyday there, ONE person can't stand me and never could. No rhyme or reason, we never even tried to get along because she's had this attitude since day one. I just have no use for her and by now (three years later) I am finally strong enough to just walk past her too, like she always did with me.

May 10, 2005 5:16 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Maybe she's like my mom who hated my best friend growing up because, she claims, she didn't like her "aurora", as in the Northern Lights she apparently emitted.

May 10, 2005 9:16 AM

0 comments:

About