Night Out for Sy

Monday, May 30, 2005 | 0 Comments

Well, I had a pretty good night last night. My best friend, Astoria (her screen name not real name), here in town (SSB is my friend to trump all friends, though) was having a very stressful day and wanted me to go have a few drinks with her. Normally I stay away from the whole bar scene here because I am allergic to cigarette smoke, the whole soap opera of small town bars can get really annoying, and I have better things to spend my money on. But, she sounded desperate to get out and I hadn't been up there with her in a long time so I said sure.

We went to the bar where her baby's daddy works. He really needs to shit or get off the pot. They have been together five years. They live together and have a child together, but he just won't commit to her. He's not going out and seeing other women or anything, he just keeps telling her that he's not sure that he would be happy with her for the rest of his life. He is generally a pretty sweet guy, but when it comes to their relationship he's a total asstard. (that's for you Jake ;)

There was a jazz band playing at the bar and my "neighbor" (That's what he calls himself although he doesn't actually live near me. He used to and his ex-wife is my next-door neighbor, though.) was playing trumpet. I have never heard him play before. He's very good. He came over to talk to me a little bit between sets. He was telling me how the ceiling fan above where they were playing made it really hard to play because it was like talking into a fan- Waaouwaaouwaaouwaaou.

It was nice to just go out and hang with her. Normally when we go out there are so many other people and stories being played out, that I don't really get to enjoy her company. But last night, it was pretty quiet so we just got to sit and talk to each other without the drama. It was like having coffee, but with beers.

We left that bar when things got a little too smokey and went to a new bar. The bar we ended up in didn't have too many people in there and they were all guys. Some guy buys us a beer. And another guy seeing his opportunity lost offers to buy us Cheetos instead. Well, I can tell you that I had never been asked by a guy in a bar if he could buy me a bag of chips before. As we are eating the Cheetos and talking to the bartender there came shouting at the far end of the bar followed by a scuffle. The bartender went down there to settle things out and as he reached the end of the bar a stool came flying across the bar right behind Astoria into the liquor shelves smashing at least 5 bottles of liquor and knocking several others onto the floor. As three guys were pulling one of the brawlers out the front door, five other guys were holding back the other guy trying to push him to the back door. Another stool came flying toward the front of the bar, hitting and knocking over a table behind us. Astoria and I just sat there eating the Cheetos and drinking our beer. With one last shove they managed to get the guy out the back door. Seeing that, the guy at the front door (who was the guy who bought us the Cheetos incidentally) asked if he could come back in now. Astoria and I said, "NO! Now go home!" His head dropped, he turned around and shuffled off. We got to finished our beers in peace because we were the only ones that didn't get kicked out of the bar.

I had tons of fun and excitement, always got a great place to sit at the bar, and it wasn't even that smokey. I think I will have to go out on a Sunday night more often.

10 Comments

Close this window Jump to comment form
Blogger evilsciencechick said...

uh oh, SSB better watch out...strange men buying you CHEETOES! that's pretty serious! you could be swept away by a night in cheeto armor!

bwaha!

i've never witnessed a bar fight. I feel slightly deprived.

May 30, 2005 11:09 PM

Blogger Jake said...

Asstard... Kind of like a dumbass only more ass than dumb. I can live with that, I think!

May 31, 2005 10:24 AM

Blogger Maria said...

I've never been to a bar. It sounds intriguing. I would totally go to one that had a mechanical bull.

May 31, 2005 10:43 AM

Blogger Jennifer said...

Sounds like a fun and exciting night! Nothing wrong with a bar fight as long as a stool doesn't hit you in the head.

May 31, 2005 12:32 PM

Blogger sideshow bob said...

Which was it...crunchy or puffy? Crunchy are just friendly Cheetos, but puffy ones mean he was lookin' for some action.
NEVER take the puffy unless you mean it.

May 31, 2005 5:20 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Crunchy. And he most likely was looking for action- but that doesn't mean he's finding any. I think the fight was an outlet for all his pent up frustration.

May 31, 2005 6:57 PM

Blogger Shannon said...

I've never seen a bar fight. I didn't really think stool throwing happened anywhere but the zoo.

Now I know better.

Crunchy Cheetos- if that ain't no come on, I dunno what it.

June 01, 2005 12:51 PM

Blogger Shannon said...

Er, what is.

June 01, 2005 12:51 PM

Blogger DrMax said...

Ahhh Wisconsin, thanks Sylvana, it was like being home again. Did the bar offer hard-boiled eggs in brine? Or maybe that's just a La Crosse thing...

June 01, 2005 12:59 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

No. Those are more for hard core Wisconsin bars- kind of like the one where Homer hangs out. The ones that have a group of men past thirty hanging out, maybe getting together to go ice fishing or hunting. There are always the same guys in there. They are there so much they even have their own key kind of places. Ah! Memories of my childhood!

June 01, 2005 3:53 PM

0 comments:

About