Big Sigh of Relief

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 | 0 Comments

Saturday morning I woke up early to finish getting the back yard ready. It wasn't raining although it was overcast. SSB says, "I think the grass is dry enough to mow if you think we should." Cue drizzle. I just kept gardening though since it wasn't too wet. When it was about an hour before commencement was supposed to begin SSB came outside to try and coax me into the house to get ready.

"I just need to get these last few things planted!" I say.
Big sigh from SSB.
Fine. I'll go get ready.

We got to the ceremony about 5 minutes before they were going to begin. It was nice because I didn't have to stand around forever and I knew my garden was done. The ceremony only lasted 2 hours. My sister and her family were even there for the ceremony, which was unexpected. When it was over, I went outside to meet up with them and it was sunny! My anti-rain bitching worked! It does have an 83% success rate, you know.

The BBQ went well. Most of the people did show up, but I still had bought way too much food. It looks like I will be having a few more BBQs this summer. I made my Italian chicken wings, which everyone loved, of course. Then I made my dad's specialty- beerbutt chicken. You shove a can of beer into the cavity of a whole chicken (Leinenkugel Honey Weiss in our case) and stand it upright on the grill for a couple of hours. Delicious! My mom even made her potato salad. And my best friend here in town made Strawberry Daquiri cupcakes. Mmm,Mmm! We were all stuffed!

Even though a lot people came, they came and went throughout the day, so space was never an issue. I don't think I ever had more than ten people at the house at any given time. My advisor/mentor even stopped by to meet my parents. I think it went well. My dad behaved himself very well. No fighting at all. Although he kept bringing up the fact that my sister and her family left early (because they had a five hour drive back home and had another event to attend the next day). I just said that I was just happy to have her at the ceremony and if that was all she could give, then I'd take it. (Better than my brothers who not only didn't show up, but also didn't call or send a card- Bastards!).

It was as near a perfect day as I could hope for. THANKS! for everyone who commented wishing me well. It really meant a lot.

(Go here to read what SideShow Bob had to say about the occasion.)

7 Comments

Close this window Jump to comment form
Blogger Sask 1 said...

Im so happy for you that everything went well.Even if your brothers didnt turn up.
June

May 17, 2005 10:20 AM

Blogger evilsciencechick said...

yay! sounds like fun!

now you need to have a blogger BBQ with all that leftover food ;)

May 17, 2005 12:58 PM

Blogger Shannon said...

Sylvana, you said you didn't want stalkers (or was it just id theft?)and then you mention leftovers enough for another bbq. That's just asking for trouble.

::stomach growls::

May 17, 2005 2:26 PM

Blogger Maria said...

You're ambitious to throw a party for yourself for graduation. I made my dad take me out to lunch to a mediocre Chinese restaurant just so I could do a fortune cookie gag.

Congratulations to you on graduation. I took an abnormal psych class and every day I took the elevator up (because I'm lazy). There was a sign in there that said "Maximum Occupancy: 11 people" Some smart-ass added "Or two psych majors." You should take that as a compliment.

May 17, 2005 2:47 PM

Blogger Lyvvie said...

I'm glad the BBQ was a success.

I'm quite intersted in trying Beer-butt chicken. I assume you open the can first?

May 18, 2005 6:24 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Oh, yes- OPEN CAN FIRST!
Although you can use any beer, I was taught that if you wouldn't drink it, you shouldn't cook with it.

May 18, 2005 8:07 AM

Blogger Jennifer said...

Glad to hear commencement and the party when well!

May 18, 2005 11:14 AM

0 comments:

About