Just when you think telemarketers couldn't be bigger assholes...
I just got a call, and I have been expecting a very important call, so when I say, "Hello" and there isn't an immediate response, I don't hang up the phone right away like I normally do. See, the telemarketers have gone to some 3 second delay, so if there isn't a response right away, I know it's a telemarketer- or my dad, who for some godforsaken reason waits to respond. I tell him that if I hang up on him when I answer the phone that it's because I think he's a telemarketer (I don't think he's buying it).

So I say "Hello" again, because it might be this person that I really need to talk to about a job this summer. A nasally voice comes on, think Ernestine-The Telephone Operator (Lily Tomlin). "Hello. This is a very important call from your local newspaper. Please stay on the line and someone will be with you shortly."

WTF! I'm on hold, the conversation hadn't even started yet, and THEY CALLED ME! I sit there stunned at the balls of the people responsible for such lunacy; then I, of course, hang up the phone. Checkmate, Local Newspaper Company!

5 Comments

Close this window Jump to comment form
Blogger evilsciencechick said...

I have a phone that's...V-tech...or something like that. When you pick up, it plays a "beep!" right away, which, if there's a telemarketer on the line, tells the computer that the number has been disconnected and then the computer 1. automatically hangs up, and 2. removes your # from their list.

I LOVE IT! Though it annoys some people to hear a "beep!" when I answer the phone. I highly recommend those phones.

May 10, 2005 10:47 AM

Blogger Jennifer said...

I don't have a phone that does that but rather one of those "Zappers" that do the same thing. We got it for Christmas from the folks and I was doubtful.
But it works! We haven't had once since and the calls have lessened a lot.

May 10, 2005 11:19 AM

Blogger ORF said...

ooh, i haven't heard about zappers. but I change my phone number every year or so, so it's tough to keep up with me. you know what i HATE?!?! the automated messages from politicians and sh*t. those are the worst! I got one from Jesse Helms once. I nearly died!

May 10, 2005 11:53 AM

Blogger Shannon said...

I love it when you get telemarketing calls for the people who had your phone number before you...

at 6.a.m.

in Spanish.

I did the "do not call" list. It worked for me.

May 11, 2005 8:44 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

I'm ON the Do-Not-Call List, but they still call.
I like to get telemarketing calls some days- the days that I'm really bitchy and I need to take it out on someone. Those are also the days that I clean up any customer service calls that I have been meaning to make.

May 11, 2005 10:24 AM

0 comments:

About