Conversations At Our House

Saturday, June 25, 2005 | 0 Comments

SSB- I think we have to go to Sam's Club for Excedrin
Sy- Hang on. I have some places where I hide it. Did you check the upper cabinet? [gets up to go into the bathroom with SSB]
SSB- No I checked-
Sy- Hang on. There are someplaces I put things that we don't need right away. [opens tall cabinet in bathroom]
SSB- I didn't see any in here [looking over Sy's shoulder]
Sy- What's this?
SSB- Conditioner.
Sy- Oh great! I think I can use this. [setting it aside] By the way, what does "holla back" mean?
SSB- I don't know.
Sy- Oh, no. You're supposed to be the one to tell me what that means. [stepping up on toilet to look in upper cabinet]
SSB- I don't know. [still looking in tall cabinet]
Sy- How can you say what a great song that is if you don't even know what "holla back" means? [dropping Pamprin box on the toilet seat]"oh, that song is sooo great! why don't you like it? It--"
SSB- Are you working for Fox News now? [handing Pamprin box back to Sy]
Sy- Oh. That was a low blow. [Putting box back and closing cabinet] Is that what you're going to say now every time I disagree with you?
SSB- No, I mean that you take my words and twist them into something different.
Sy- [giggling] I was not. You said you liked it. You were trying to tell me--
SSB- Nooo. I said that it had its good qualities.
Sy- Riiiight. [still giggling] You're right. We do need Excedrin. [exit bathroom]

Here is a very entertaining breakdown of what Gwen is actually trying to say in "Hollaback Girl".

14 Comments

Close this window Jump to comment form
Blogger immixmarketer said...

This is quality humor.
Usually if anyone was out of something at my house, my mom would pull a rediculous amount of whatever you needed from her purse.

June 25, 2005 12:43 PM

Blogger evilsciencechick said...

I believe that a "holla back girl" is a girl that hooks up with a guy, and then waits around for him to "holla back" at her...which I assume means she pathetically waits by the phone, waiting for him to call.

I am not at all cool, so I could be totally wrong about this. However...THAT SONG ROCKS!

Did SSB ever get his excedrin?

June 25, 2005 12:58 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Immixmarketer- I take that as a compliment as I just visited your blog today. Good stuff! I was sort of like your mom except I always had whatever you might need in my car. Need some gum? It's in my car. Need a fresh shirt? It's in my car. Need a hatchet? It's in my car.

ESC- I think that term has multiple meanings and yours is one of them. I think it basically means that she is in charge.
I personally think the song is trying to be a tough, modern girl version of "Hey Mickey". I think some of the music is OK, but it's so schizophrenic.
SSB and I are leaving for Sam's Club in about 20 minutes. Mega bottle of Excedrin, here we come! Oh and 10 lbs of popcorn too! Oh yeah, we need a new VCR and pool table, and....

June 25, 2005 2:14 PM

Blogger immixmarketer said...

I think evilscience has hit it on the head.
Sylvana, I like the Hey Mickey comparision...Gwen Stefani (I know I misspelled that) is super creative though, so you gotta like whatever she comes out with.

June 25, 2005 7:12 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Oh oops. I meant because she says she's NOT a hollaback girl that it means that she's saying she's in charge.

June 25, 2005 7:48 PM

Blogger evilsciencechick said...

hey, can you get me a 5 gallon drum of ketchup?

thanks.

June 25, 2005 9:34 PM

Blogger Maria said...

You two should get you own sitcom.

June 26, 2005 1:10 PM

Blogger Shannon said...

This is hilarious. The best thing about not blogging in a while is coming back and reading your blog! Love it.

June 26, 2005 1:19 PM

Blogger sideshow bob said...

Afetr we got back home, I found the Excedrin...right in the front row of the cabinet. Must be a pranksta ghost. You got polter-punked!

June 26, 2005 9:16 PM

Comment deleted

This post has been removed by a blog administrator.

June 26, 2005 11:03 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

ESC- **five gallon drum of ketchup** Got it on my list.

Maria- We're workin on a deal with CBS. They need something to fill the ELR slot.

Shannon- **blush** Well, uh, awe shucks! Thanks. I like to entertain.

SSB- I took practically everything out of that cupboard looking for it too. Spooky.

June 27, 2005 7:58 AM

Blogger Irb said...

I think a "Hollaback Girl" is a girl who has a large hole or cavity in her back, right between the shoulder blades, where she keeps things like Excedrin.

But I could be wrong. I have absolutely no street cred, despite the fact that I'm constantly validating my homeys by giving them props and assuring them that they are "da man."

BTW, thanks for moving me off of the guilt-ridden link list and up to the blogs you dig. I feel all warm and squishy now :)

June 27, 2005 9:51 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Oh yeah, Irb, I think you may have something there. Also known as a Little Susie Stores-a-Lot.

Ah! My guilt-ridden list is working! I already have been able to take two of you off since I put it up! And I'm so glad I coaxed you out of the Blogosphere. LOL- you so funny :))

June 27, 2005 11:34 AM

Blogger Randi said...

sounds much like the coversations in my house.....

June 30, 2005 9:01 PM

0 comments:

About