This Is Why I Post at 3AM

Saturday, April 30, 2005 | 0 Comments

I have pretty much always worked better at night. It is quieter. I can actually get through a whole thought without being interrupted/distracted and then forgetting what the hell I was doing. I have trouble functioning when I have to get up too early. I used to work at a factory where I had to be there by 5am. Getting ready for work in the morning I would sit down to tie my shoes and just fall asleep. Try and explain that one to the boss. SO I always figured that I was a night owl. This test was pretty much right on for me, except there is no way in hell I could work until 7am! 3am tops! And during the summer my rhythm changes; I have trouble staying up late and I wake up naturally by 7 or 8am. They didn't really talk about people who were multi-rhythmed, so I wonder if there are more people out there like me.



You are an Extreme Owl. Based on your responses to the Lark and Owl Test, you are an extreme owl. True owls love to sleep into the late morning but have no trouble staying awake and alert past 2 or 3 a.m. Their periods of high alertness and sleepiness are about two hours later than people with standard circadian profiles. Owls have an easier time staying alert on the night shift. This is due, in part, because their times of alertness start out more closely aligned with being awake at night. In other words, if you're comfortable going to bed at 3 a.m., working until 7 a.m. isn't that large of a stretch. In addition, owls' circadian rhythms tend to be more flexible than people with standard or morning profiles. After successive night shifts, their circadian rhythms become increasingly well adjusted to shiftwork.

http://www.circadian.com/sleep/index.html Circadian Lark and Owl test
Got from Scotts Blog

4 Comments

Close this window Jump to comment form
Blogger thurston said...

I haven't taken the test, but I know the results are going to be pretty much the same as yours. I have trouble falling asleep before 2 AM just because that's when my mind is the most active. Since I have a job where I have to get up at 7 AM, this doesn't usually lead to a restful week.

Thank christ for Sundays, eh?

Have a great rest of the weekend.

Bye!

T

April 30, 2005 7:39 PM

Blogger Jennifer said...

Exactly what I figured as well... I am an Extreme Owl. I work until after midnight, sometimes until 2am and I am wide awake when I get home. I am up for at least an hour after I get home. Doesn't matter how late I get to bed, I still need 8-9 hours of sleep.

April 30, 2005 8:44 PM

Blogger Sask 1 said...

Well since most of the time i work nights i know the answerto that.I try to get up for work in the mornings,but i cant do anything my brain just doesnt function.
June

May 02, 2005 9:48 AM

Blogger Japan Deity said...

I was neither a lark nor an owl. Funny, though. I can stay up very late and usually do.

May 02, 2005 10:58 PM

0 comments:

About