"Popstrology"

Saturday, April 09, 2005 | 0 Comments


This is like astrology except the "stars" that tell of your personality are "pop stars" and the songs that hit the top of the chart on your birthday. I found this site on Shannon's blog. I was born in The Year of Gilbert O'Sullivan. It's funny, I had always heard it as Gilbert and Sullivan. Apparently I am not the only one either, my friend said to me, "Gilbert O'Sullivan? You mean it's just one guy?" Yep.
I was sort of disappointed that I came up "Alone Again, Naturally". Then I looked at the song that my birthday falls on and that is much more to my liking: Mar 19-Apr 8 America "A Horse With No Name". Oddly enough though, the description of The Year of Gilbert O'Sullivan does somewhat fit me; I'm sort of an Eeyore: seemingly self-piteous in a strangely optimistic sort of way. I do have feminism and multiculturalism engrained in my belief system. I don't believe in free love or adultery, but a little self-love every now and then never hurt anyone (and what else are you supposed to do when you find yourself alone again, naturally?). Loud and proud sound a lot like me too. And hey, I really like the song "Ben" and the movie "Willard" has always been a favorite of mine, the new one was even better! I often find myself in the operant conditioning lab with my rats wondering if they would form a rodent army to carry out my deepest, darkest wishes. Muwahhahah!!!

1972 The Year of Gilbert O'Sullivan
How will the Gilbert O'Sullivan generation deal with life's inevitable setbacks? Will they greet every bump in the road with debilitating self-pity, or will they take their hard knocks with look-on-the-bright-side optimism? This is the question that hangs over the heads of a popstrological generation trapped between the competing and divergent lessons of Alone Again (Naturally) and I Can See Clearly Now. But the divergent philosophies of Gilbert O'Sullivan and Johnny Nash were not the only powerful ideas competing for mind share when the children of 1972 came forth onto the earth. 1972 was a year filled with deeply felt proclamations from proponents of belief systems ranging from feminism (Helen Reddy) and multiculturalism (Three Dog Night) to onanism (Chuck Berry) and adultery (Billy Paul). And as anyone who has spent much time around the children of 1972 can tell you, it's not uncommon to see them preaching and practicing all of the above quite religiously. What is uncommon is to find a child of 1972 who is unwilling to stand up and proclaim his or her lifestyle choice loudly and proudly, even if that lifestyle has as few adherents as that of the rat-loving protagonist in the song Ben, which launched the Wildcard star of 1972 into the popstrological firmament.

6 Comments

Close this window Jump to comment form
Blogger SierraBella said...

Well I knew I was old, but Jeez! My birth year falls 3 years before the earliest year available on the quiz...
I think I'll just go back to bed now and sulk!

April 09, 2005 1:46 PM

Blogger sideshow bob said...

Can you practice onanism religiously? I'm glad I don't clean up at that church!<=o

April 10, 2005 10:52 AM

Blogger ORF said...

Sylvana,
There IS a Gilbert AND Sullivan. They were British and they wrote operas. Perhaps most famously: "The Pirates of Penzance." They also wrote "HMS Penafore," as well as "The Mikado." www.nygasp.org

I suppose we could call this an information exchange seeing as how until three minutes ago, I was never aware of someone named "Gilbert O'Sullivan."

Perhaps the "O" stood for "One Hit Wonder." That, and the fact that he didn't have the sense to change his name in order to distinguish himself from two men who'd already become quite famous for their work, thus tiring out what ever auspices the name might provide him. Moron.

April 11, 2005 11:19 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

That makes sense, because I thought that Gilbert and Sullivan were far better than to have produced "Alone Again, Naturally." And I love the "Pirates of Penzance"!

April 11, 2005 11:27 AM

Blogger Maria said...

This is great! I hope you don't mind if I copy you. I thought it was Gilbert and Sullivan too, just so you don't feel too bad.

April 13, 2005 6:01 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Oh yeah, copy away. I get things from other people's sites all the time! Just if it's my idea or words- give me credit, please.

April 13, 2005 9:17 PM

0 comments:

About