I was reading Beo's blog, and one of his posts reminded me of a very surreal experience I had during my first stretch of college, years ago.

For the summer, I moved in with a family in a small town that I had never been in before. During the first week everyone in the town said "Hi" to me like they knew me. At first I thought it was just a really friendly small town. It was Wisconsin after all.

Then someone asked me how school was going. Huh? How did they know I was going to school? I said, "Fine" checking them over to decide if I should be concerned about them knowing so much about me.

Then at the gas station a woman came up to me and asked how my parents were. Now it was getting creepy. "Good", I said hesitantly. Why would a stranger want to know about my parents?

Then at the grocery store someone came running up to me and gave me a hug, "Hey, I didn't know you were in town!" I looked at her and asked her, "Do I know you?" She says, "Oh, you are always so funny!" as she playfully slaps my arm. "Tell your parents I said hi!" I'm thinking I have amnesia or I'm in an episode of the Twilight Zone at this point.

The family I was staying with asked me later that week how I liked the town so far. I said, "Well, the people are extremely friendly. They all act as if they know me... It's actually a little weird."

They looked confused, then their faces light up with sudden recognition, "Oh my gosh! I didn't notice before, but you look, act and sound EXACTLY like this girl that grew up here and just went off to college!" The daughter whips out her yearbook from the year before, and oh-my-gosh she really did look EXACTLY like me! Freaky!

At least she was nice. Imagine if everyone had hated her.

7 Comments

Close this window Jump to comment form
Blogger Sask 1 said...

wow walking in the steps of your double.Sooo creepy to think there is someone out there just like us.
June

April 18, 2005 10:11 AM

Blogger SierraBella said...

During my early 20s people occasionally came up and asked why I hadn't said hello, or waved back on such and such a day.
Because it wasn't me!,
Stuck in commute traffic one day, I happened to look over at the car beside me and guess who I saw?
Yep- It was my infamous double!
We did the point the finger (not that finger) thing at each other, laughed and moved on.
Years later, I moved a distance away. A co-worker confronted me about this guy (not my husband) he'd seen me dining with. Again it wasn't me...
I think she's following me!

April 18, 2005 12:41 PM

Blogger Yoli said...

EEeekk, when will it ever end???!!
I ran away from my double long time ago and now i'm a happy little camper yes yes. :)

April 18, 2005 3:59 PM

Blogger Yoli said...

EEEk almost forgot..thanks for stopping by my site :)

April 18, 2005 4:02 PM

Blogger otowi said...

That's hilarious and a little creepy - you encountered your doppleganger! Thanks for stopping by my blog; I don't know what was up with the posting, hopefully it is better now.

April 18, 2005 6:52 PM

Blogger sideshow bob said...

Damnit! I wanted to say doppleganger first...oh well. Hopefully she's not on the terrorist watch list!

April 18, 2005 8:15 PM

Blogger jay said...

Fuck. Doppleganger is a great word and I always thought it meant "armored tank" or something.

April 21, 2005 5:37 AM

0 comments:

About