Back from the Dead

Friday, April 29, 2005 | 0 Comments


This is a Carl Brenders painting of an Ivory-billed woodpecker.
Woohoo! I am very excite about this new discovery. The Ivory-billed woodpecker has been discovered alive and surviving in breeding pairs. Believed to have been completely extinct for over sixty years, there have been sightings of this species since 1999. The official confirmation was made via a video taped April 2004 of one of the birds. The Cornell Lab of Ornithology, the Nature Conservancy and other groups have joined to form the Big Woods Conservation Partnership to conserve 200,000 acres of forest habitat and rivers in the area during the next 10 years. This will definitely be going on the top of my charity list.
You can get more on this story at CNN.com.


6 Comments

Close this window Jump to comment form
Blogger Sask 1 said...

Just goes to show we dont know everything.

April 29, 2005 8:13 AM

Blogger Shannon said...

This was certainly the coolest news of the week. I'm happy that sometimes nature continues despite our attempts to destroy it.

April 29, 2005 8:48 AM

Blogger SierraBella said...

Wonderful news!
I'm glad to get here before Bucky makes some comment about wood peckers!

April 29, 2005 12:44 PM

Blogger SierraBella said...

Oops, I posted too quickly!
Does the wild-child Bucky4eyes visit this site?
I need to do my research before commenting!

April 29, 2005 12:47 PM

Blogger Weary Hag said...

Excellent! They were probably hiding out from us. This is amazing. Thanks for the neat photo!

April 30, 2005 6:45 AM

Blogger Japan Deity said...

Two words: natures will. Those birds defied the odds, so I think I will too... when will defy the odds because i'm so tired of waiting.

May 02, 2005 11:11 PM

0 comments:

About