Victory, Sweet Victory!!

Friday, December 16, 2005 | 0 Comments

Woohoo! The UnPatriot Act renewal was just shot down by the Senate 52-47! And my hero Russ was a big part in getting this done.
I love you, Russ!!

There were only two Democrats that supported the UnPatriot Act: Sens. Tim Johnson of South Dakota and Ben Nelson of Nebraska; the rest are Republicans. This just makes me shake my head. Republicans spout off about supporting our troops. They shout about how they are giving up their lives to protect our freedoms and liberty so we should respect that and support that. How are we really supporting their efforts if we would just hand over those freedoms and liberties so freely? Thank goodness a few Republicans realized this: Chuck Hagel of Nebraska, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, John Sununu of New Hampshire, Larry Craig of Idaho and Frist of Tennessee. Yeah, you read that right - FRIST! I nearly shit myself, until I read this:"Frist, R-Tenn., changed his vote at the last moment after seeing the critics would win. He decided to vote with the prevailing side so he could call for a new vote at any time." OK, that makes more sense.

In any event, I can't help but think that I once again had a voice in this decision. Not because my head is THAT big, but so far everytime I have sent an email to my senators, the vote turns out how I had hoped. Could it really be true that they DO listen? Maybe.


11 Comments

Close this window Jump to comment form
Blogger Shannon said...

YES!!!
must check the news.

December 16, 2005 5:39 PM

Blogger sideshow bob said...

I saw in Mother Jones that Russ was touring around in the Mississippi/Alabama area and said something about how bad the conditions were, what with all the mobile homes and awful living conditions and such, and everyone got pissed at him, thinking he was just an uppity Northerner.

Then came the hurricanes...maybe people will start listening to him now...but I doubt it.

December 16, 2005 6:23 PM

Blogger nope said...

The battle is not over with yet -. BUT you've made a good start!

December 17, 2005 10:34 AM

Blogger canuk said...

Russ For President!!!!

December 18, 2005 10:03 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Shannon, it is about time that we get something to feel good about during this administration.

SSB, they obviously missed his point.

Indiaiynke, I know, but you have to take your victories where you can. Small steps sometimes lead to great things!

Canuk, I am totally with you on that! He would make a fabulous president!

December 18, 2005 11:28 PM

Blogger pastamasta said...

Delighted to hear that you've managed to stop another erosion of civil liberties. It's amazing the tactics some of these right-wing arseholes will stoop to... I know, let's call it the "Patriot" Act so that automatically anyone who fails to support it is branded as unpatriotic... it's pathetic. Two fingers up to the lot of them.

December 20, 2005 8:44 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

PastaMasta, you have hit the nail on the head. Too bad more Americans can't see through the shite!

December 20, 2005 9:50 AM

Blogger Elizabeth said...

God bles you, Sylvana, for the link and all that other stuff. I want to laugh out loud but i'm at work. Bad me!

December 21, 2005 4:07 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Elizabeth, no problem. Glad to know that I could be part of your laughs today!

December 21, 2005 11:30 AM

Blogger "AG" said...

:(

Extended

December 22, 2005 5:14 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

AG, I know. But they are going to use that time to yank out the really intrusive stuff. We will see! I think it might actually be better if they have to deal with it in 6 months. It's closer to the election and they will be under greater pressure to do something popular with the people.

December 22, 2005 6:02 PM

0 comments:

About