I got a call from my dad yesterday. I was supposed to call him to let him know what we were planning on doing for Christmas - if we were coming up or not, but he was calling to let me know that my uncle had died that morning.

I was not expecting that at all. He wasn't that old, just a few years older than my dad. He woke up Friday morning feeling sick to his stomach. He went into the bathroom, collasped and died. They said it was his heart.

He always seemed so young to me. He would run around and play with us when we were kids. He ran around with the grandkids once we were all grown. He was full of laughs and smiles and always made you feel like he was so very happy to see you again.

He was one of the few relatives that I actually liked. He was a very jolly, mild mannered guy. He was always trying to keep the peace, and was very good at it. He never said a mean thing about anyone and I never saw him lose his temper. He was a nice guy in a world that really could use more of them.

7 Comments

Close this window Jump to comment form
Blogger Shannon said...

I never know what to say, and "I'm so sorry" never seems to capture it. Nonetheless, my sincere sympathies.

December 24, 2005 11:02 PM

Blogger nope said...

I am sorry for your loss, Sylvana. Remember him well, and he will always be with you.

December 25, 2005 8:11 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Shannon, thanks. I always have trouble with it too. I'm trying to figure out what to write on the card to his wife and kids.

Indiaiynke, having him around meant a lot to me when I was a kid because as long as he was there at family get togethers I knew that someone would grab the kids and run if things turned ugly (as they often did at family get togethers). And he was a BIG guy, so he could take down anyone that got in his way!

December 25, 2005 12:10 PM

Blogger "AG" said...

I am sorry to hear of his passing, in body. He's still with you, it seems.

December 26, 2005 4:43 AM

Blogger OldRoses said...

I'm sorry for your loss, especially during the holidays. Keep him alive in your heart.

December 26, 2005 11:52 PM

Blogger Astoria said...

Geeze, you are certainly being bombarded with sad things! Keep your chin up. Sorry for your loss, it is never easy, take care.

December 27, 2005 9:24 AM

Blogger Wendy A said...

Sylvana,

I am sorry to hear about your jolly uncles passing. I think you are due for a dose of good fortune. Hope you have a lovely Christmas.

December 28, 2005 2:37 PM

0 comments:

About