Help Stop The UnPatriot Act!!

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 | 0 Comments

I just found out that the Patriot Act is scheduled to hit the Senate floor for repassing on a permanent basis tomorrow! I only get local news now, unless of course I want to watch C-Span, but then what can you really get from C-Span except a good, deep sleep? In any case, this should have still been considered big news, right? So why was this not on the news? They were too busy talking about which house has the most gawdy holiday light display. They were too busy reminding people not to drive their cars out on ice that is too thin. They were too busy replaying the same damn stories that they did last week!! My local news sucks anyway, so I guess that I should expect as much from them.

So of course MoveOn.org has a petition ready for those who wish to help do something about this. The UnPatriot Act was first brought to congress in 2001 at which time only one senator had the balls to stand up and say that it sucked. That senator was my long-time hero Russ Feingold! I actually even got to meet Russ a few years ago and JD got his picture taken with him. Very nice man. He has been our senator since the year that JD was born. I absolutely loved his TV ads. They were hilarious!

OK, Sy, FOCUS!! FOCUS!!

That is exactly why the damn UnPatriot Act passed so easily in the first place, those damn people were not able to focus. They were all running around too scared of doing anything that would make them look like they were protecting "turrist". Russ was calm and collected and probably the only person voting that actually read the damn thing.

So, you know me, I can't keep my big yap shut about something like this. I wrote yet another letter to my senators and representative.

Dear WI Senators Russ Feingold and Herb Kohl and US Representative Ron Kind,

I have been a strong patriot since I was a little girl and learned the great history of this nation in school. I learned about the people who fought so fiercely to gain freedom from unwarranted home searches and seizures, to gain the freedom to live a private life, to gain freedom from the fear of an overly powerful government. They gave their lives for these freedoms. They made these freedoms quite clear when they composed the constitution of this great country.

Another thing I remember from school was George Orwell's societal warning in the form of his book "Nineteen Eighty-Four". He warned of what would become of our freedoms if we didn't protect them, especially from our own government. The Patriot Act is a huge step toward realizing the nation of Big Brother.

Our government was given certain checks and balances and limitations for a very good reason; so that we could live as a free people without fear of our own government. We are now being hoodwinked into giving these freedoms up through the Patriot Act in the name of "freedom". Russ Feingold was the only senator who stood up for the people's freedom back in 2001 when the Patriot Act first reared its ominous head.

He alone could not bring it down, but he showed great courage in standing up against such an atrocity to this great country. Who will stand with him this time? Who will stand with him to take the Big Brother out of the Patriot Act? We should not be required to give up our freedom in order to preserve our freedom! The way it is written right now, it is not a patriot act; it is very much a un-patriot act. I hope that you will help save our freedoms in this country by standing against the un-Patriot Act!

Very Sincerely Yours,
Sylvana



If you would like to join MoveOn.org in their effort to petition senators to stand up against the UnPatriot Act please go here. Or you could just send an email to your senators on your own to let them know how you really feel.

6 Comments

Close this window Jump to comment form
Blogger sideshow bob said...

You're so cute when you petition the government!

December 14, 2005 2:44 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

You just love your little spitfire, don't ya?

December 14, 2005 4:09 PM

Blogger Wendy A said...

Sylvana,
Your education was the same as mine. I remember Orwell's 1984, My belief was in the consitution as the end all for freedom. Sad to say I think we were brainwashed. Things seem more B.Brotherish each day especially now that I am outside the box.

Your persistance is admirable.

December 15, 2005 3:54 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Wendy A, I'm nothing if not tenacious and true to what I believe is right!

December 15, 2005 8:58 AM

Blogger DrMax said...

You do realize of course that this post has put you on a terrorist watch list.

December 15, 2005 3:30 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

That's OK, DrMax. I could really use the extra readership!

December 16, 2005 2:51 PM

0 comments:

About