Enjoy the Detours

Monday, October 03, 2005 | 0 Comments

Once again I have abandoned my blog for a few days to enjoy a busy weekend. Since it was supposed to be the last warm weekend of the season, I decided to go camping. We packed up and headed off to the park that we camped at last time. We got there around noon, but alas, there were no more sites available. In October? So I got a list of other nearby campgrounds and started calling. Thank goodness for cellphones!

We ended up at a campground 40 minutes to the east. It is just outside a town where we own rental property. We have driven out there so many times to show the property and do repairs, but I had never really considered the area for it's beauty. Well, I was glad that we couldn't get a spot at the other grounds, because it was beautiful! We got a great secluded site right next to the river. But we would find out later that night that it was not as secluded as we would have prefered...

A little after 1am a large group of people about two sites away came back from the bar at the golf course that was part of the park. They were loud and obnoxious, as drunk people at that time of night tend to be. I figured that it would take about a half an hour for the excitement of leaving the bar to subside and for them to settle down. No, they were just getting started. After about half an hour, SSB walked over there to see what we were up against. There were well over a dozen very drunk people, so he just decided to sleep in the car.

I was pissed that they were being so rude to us as well as all the other campers. I walked past their site to check out my options. There were about six or seven cars parked. I wasn't pissed enough to try and reason with a gang of really drunk people. So I headed down to the registration cabin to see if there was an on-call number that I could use to get this taken care of. Yeah, there was. 911. Aw, come on! 911?! I gotta call 911 because some drunken assholes can't figure out that there are other people in the world; ones that don't care about the events of their night at the bar, how drunk they are, or whose butt is whose.

I decided I'd wait a little, see if they just wouldn't break it up after they recounted the stupidity of their evening. As I was passing their site on my way back I heard emanating from the group: "What's that you got? AH! You gonna do shots? Hell yeah! Let's do shots!!" I just turned right around and dialed 911. Shots?! They were going to go all night and get more loud and obnoxious!

The police wanted to know who I was and what campsite I was at. I told them that I'd just as well that those rowdy drunks not know who I was and where to find me. Fair enough, the police said they were sending someone out.

I went back to my tent and listened for the squad car. When it got there, I could here a drunk woman shouting: "Hey! It's Jeff! Hey Jeff, what's up?" Apparently, these people were familiar with the local police force. I could hear some low talking- and then that woman again: "OK, Jeff! Thanks Jeff!" Then I heard the car leave followed by three more cars. I'd love to be able to tell you that was that, but, the remaining people still stayed up until 5am talking and laughing. Oh, well. At least there were less of them and they were much quieter (but then again, short of setting off dynamite, they couldn't have gotten much louder!)

SSB actually got a pretty good sleep. I was up every hour because Neo wanted out to go look for him, and from occasional laughing fits from the drunk people.

The next morning I made eggs and toast. Then we went for a hike. The trees are just starting to change colors. I would love to come back when the trees are at peak and get some more pictures. Maybe we can even rent a boat and actually get out on the water!

I even brought back a special treat for all of you... a picture of SSB walking our dog down the wooded trail along the river. I'm glad that SSB enjoys the wilderness too. In fact, there's not too much that we don't enjoy doing together.

12 Comments

Close this window Jump to comment form
Blogger cookie christine said...

You should have had a really loud, rip-roaring breakfast. Gotten all schloshed on mimosa and bloody marys, cranked up some tunes and woken those drunks up early. That'll teach 'em.

Hope you guys have a great time and the drunks leave you alone for the rest of your trip.

October 03, 2005 2:28 PM

Blogger evilsciencechick said...

heehee...I'll BET there isn't too much you don't enjoy together!

October 03, 2005 4:17 PM

Blogger DrMax said...

Sometimes a walk in nature with your dog is the only thing that will take your mind off the way the Packers are playing. (I'm going to have to borrow a dog from someone).

October 03, 2005 4:18 PM

Blogger sideshow bob said...

It looks like I'm about to kick the dog in that picture...but I'm not, I swear! I'd never kick a dog, no matter how bad the Pack are playing!

And Cookie Christine: we did a little hooting and hollering after we were sure all the responsible campers were up, around 7:30 or 8:00....we let our dogs bark quite a bit too. I'm sure the other campers were enjoying the fact that we were giving the drunk bastards a taste of their own medicine!

October 03, 2005 4:45 PM

Blogger Astoria said...

I was just reading your new post--at school--in class, and almost drifted off to alittle snooze myself. It was so peaceful till the part about those damn drunks, I hate drunk people! Unless of course I am a drunkerd too, then I don't notice as much! Until the next morn and then I hate myself too, ahh I think I am beginning to babble! Better go, before I say too much! I should have gone with you..STUPID! STUPID!

October 03, 2005 8:23 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Cookie Christine, I was good and noisy in the morning. I cooked breakfast on a cast iron skillet and clanged the spatula on it excessively. And I made sure that I yelled everything: "DID YOU WANT YOUR EGG SCRAMBLED OR OVER EASY?!!!"

ESC, heheh!...heheheh!

DrMax, The Packers are good boys. Yes they are! Yes they are! Now throw them some snacks.

SSB, the other picture really looked like you were going to kick him.

October 03, 2005 8:31 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Astoria, are saying that my writing is relaxing, or boring? ;) You're not nearly as loud when you get drunk- even when you fight or cry. And yeah, you should have gone with us.

October 03, 2005 8:36 PM

Blogger OldRoses said...

What is it with drunken people in the middle of the night? I was on a business trip last year, had to be up early, critical work, etc etc and I was kept awake all night in my hotel by loud, drunken people in the hallways.

October 03, 2005 11:29 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

They start wandering when the bars kick them out- or they get the munchies.

October 04, 2005 12:21 AM

Blogger Tayster said...

That picture of the lake is beautiful. With the changing leaves and all. Can I use it as my wallpaper?

October 04, 2005 9:46 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Borrow away, Tayster! Glad you like it.

October 04, 2005 10:02 AM

Blogger Astoria said...

Not boring, it was relaxing! And hey now about the fighting and crying when I am drunk, now that's too much information!! :) Now everyone must think I am a big boob! Just kidding I don't care and one of these time I'll pull my head out of my ass and go with you all!!

October 04, 2005 1:26 PM

0 comments:

About