Job Hunting

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 | 0 Comments

I have been out of a job for a month now. I'm getting pretty frustrated, to say the least. I have had friends look over my resume to make sure that it was OK, and they all said that it was fantastic. Granted, they could be trying to be nice to me, but they know I'd rather have them be honest and I believe that they would honor that. So what is the problem? More than one friend has suggested that I may be over-qualified for the jobs that I am applying for. On the other hand, some have suggested padding my resume. If I'm over qualified, well, I could take some things off my resume easily. But if I'm under-qualified, I could never put something on my resume that I didn't totally believe in- so padding is out of the question.

I finally got a call today. She asked specifics about my experience in bookkeeping and supervising. She seemed concerned that I have never used bookkeeping software for my business bookkeeping and that I may not know enough about other software that they use right now. But, I must have said something right since she sent a pre-employment test to take. I read that these tests cost on average about $30 to process, so that must mean that she's seriously considering me, right?

This is not the first time that I have taken one of these tests. I took one about 14 years ago for a grocery chain called Pick-N-Save. It was about 8-10 pages long. It started out OK, but by the third page, it got real weird. One question was: It is OK to hit someone if they make you really angry. Who would answer "agree" to that? Or better yet, who would answer "agree" to this one: I feel that I have been abducted by aliens. Seriously, are you kidding me? I started giggling. I knew at that moment that I did not want to work at Pick-N-Save and really considered just leaving with the test so that I could show it to my friends. It would have been a great party favor. But I was really interested to see if I would be acceptable to this store that was so concerned about hiring alien abductees with anger management issues.

I did not get the job. They never called me back. I still, to this day, wonder what they were testing for.

This last one I took was far more reasonable, but still a little weird. Lots of questions about drug use and dealing in the workplace and stealing. They started out asking if stealing and drug use in the work place was OK. Then they moved into wording the question in a way that suggested that you were stealing and using drugs in the work place. Once again, I couldn't help giggling. Exactly how many times and ways do I have to tell them that I don't do those things nor do I think that they are acceptable? I answered the questions honestly. I mean, what else are you going to do?

I was a little nervous about the test so I searched Google for answers. That's where I found this test. It's fun and free to find out how you might do on one of these.



I felt a lot better after taking it since I did very well.


You scored very high on this test, indicating that your susceptibility for dishonest behavior is minimal. You are someone who isn't swayed from acting honestly even in situations where many "normal" people would feel temptation to act deceitfully.


I'm expecting to hear from her in the next couple of days. Unless she too is looking for an alien abductee with anger management issues.


9 Comments

Close this window Jump to comment form
Blogger The Doc said...

I do hope you get that job Sylvana, but if they don't give it to you, you might consider answering "Yes" to some of those ridiculous questions, just to see what happens.

(Also: I got a 73, which is apparently "very high". I didn't think I was more honest than most people, but I think people use the word "honest" differently than I do.)

October 04, 2005 12:01 PM

Blogger sands of time said...

I hope you get the job too.
By the way i got 63% which it says is average.

October 04, 2005 12:10 PM

Blogger sideshow bob said...

What is the approximate "street value" of the drugs you have given or sold to co-workers, and what is the value of stolen office supplies that you accepted from them as payment?

October 04, 2005 12:29 PM

Blogger SierraBella said...

I scored 85%, but thought I'd do better!
So I drive 5 miles over the speed limit!
Hope you get that job.

October 04, 2005 2:40 PM

Blogger Shannon said...

You know, I always thought those questions were stupid until I worked in a position where people actually answered "yes" to the ridiculous ones. They easily screen out the real freaks.

Once I was conducting an interview for a Peace Corps applicant who started making ethnic slurs during the interview. I was completely shocked that someone would be so stupid! She also answered a question about handling stressful situations with "I totally break down." Sometimes you need to ask the dumb questions to get rid of the dumb people.

Good luck on with the job test, btw! I hope you get it.

October 04, 2005 4:41 PM

Blogger Shannon said...

I never want to work anywhere that gives me that stupid test. I got 66 (very high?) on the test and took it at work to boot.

October 04, 2005 5:56 PM

Blogger Dr. Who said...

HEY!!!

What is the meaning of all these? All of us who were abducted cannot work?

This is purely discrimination! Where is the human rights committee when you need it???

October 04, 2005 8:23 PM

Blogger OldRoses said...

Besides being chronically early, I am way too honest. I scored an 85. No surprise there. I didn't have to take an honesty test for my current position but I did have to take a drug test. They tried to scare me by claiming it came back positive. I asked when did chocolate become illegal??????

October 05, 2005 12:06 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Thanks Doc. It would be nice, and I'd kick ass!

June, hard to believe. Maybe it is because you are so sympathetic. Sometimes you have to break the rules to help people.

SSB- yeah, WTF? Those questions were messed up!

Sierrebella, You almost got me! I answered that I sped too. I mean, really, there aren't very many people who haven't at some point in their life whether they meant to or not.

Shannon, unfortunately, I have worked at places where my coworkers probably would have answered "agree" or "strongly agree" to many of those weird ones. And thanks!

DrWho, it should be a "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

OldRoses, if they screened for chocolate, I'd never get employment.

October 05, 2005 3:43 PM

0 comments:

About