The Search Is Over

Friday, October 21, 2005 | 0 Comments

I FINALLY GOT A JOB! And what relief! SSB has less than 2 weeks left at his current job before they shut the place down.

I ended up landing the job connected to the botched email. Funny thing is, the other day I checked the email that she sent to me and she mispelled "ad" as "add"! HA! I interviewed with her last Wednesday, but it went so well that I was afraid that I would jinx it by talking about it.

But I have the job now, so I can talk all I want! I love it so far. It is in an appraisal office. I have already gone through 6 closings in the last ten years, so I'm pretty familiar with the paperwork, lingo, and procedures. There is still TONS to know, though. I am going through two weeks of training, which I hope is enough! The person training me is a sweetheart, but she does not cover things in an organized manner. I am pretty good at guiding tutors to teach me better, so I'm not too worried about figuring things out. And as is my efficient nature, within fifteen minutes into my training I showed her how to make one of the office reference documents much more useful by suggesting that she use hyperlinks for website references. She was amazed that she hadn't thought of that in the 1-1/2 years that she had been working there. She was giddy for the rest of the day as she used the document and could just click in it to get to the website instead of having to find it in the bookmarks. And the owner was there when I suggested it, so I made a good impression with her too.

I'm really glad that I was able to make such a good impression the first day, because I was not her first choice. It was between myself and another person. Initially the other person had gotten the job, but by the end of the day, she turned it down, and the job was mine! Whoever you are- THANK YOU!

17 Comments

Close this window Jump to comment form
Blogger sands of time said...

Im first to say congratulations on getting the job.You must be sooo happy.
Hugs to you June

October 21, 2005 11:20 AM

Blogger Shannon said...

Yay! Congrats!

October 21, 2005 12:30 PM

Blogger The Doc said...

Awww yeah! Now it's time to buy a lot of celebratory beer...and ration it out responsibly.

October 21, 2005 1:30 PM

Blogger Derek Knight said...

way to go!

October 21, 2005 1:51 PM

Blogger Dr. Who said...

All right! Luck smiled at you :)

October 21, 2005 2:26 PM

Blogger ORF said...

WOOHOOO!!! Way to go, woman! I'm so excited for you :)

Are you working for the county appraiser's office? I look at property valuations all the time for my job b/c property holdings are good wealth indicators for donors. I love poking around on those sites!

October 21, 2005 3:37 PM

Blogger sideshow bob said...

Yay!!!

Big ups! So many little things happened there, you could tell it would all end well. Dr. Who is right...Luck smiled at you, but first it effed with you for just a little bit, because she is sweet but mischievous, just like you.

October 21, 2005 4:12 PM

Blogger nope said...

Congratulations, Sylvana.

October 21, 2005 5:27 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Pink Lady, yay! You were first! And thanks for the hugs!

Shannon, you look so happy for me ;)

The Doc, ration beer? Are you a commie?

Derek, thanks! You too look rather excited for my good fortune.

Dr. Who, I feel like it has. Thanks.

Thanks, ORF. I'm excited too!
I'm working in a private firm.
Did you become a stalker before or after you got your current job? ;)

SSB, ha! I always feel like I am in the middle of the longest running practical joke.
Sweet and mischievous, that is so sweet! And that is so me.

Indiaiynke, thanks! I'm so happy to be part of the working class again!

October 21, 2005 7:00 PM

Blogger OldRoses said...

A HUGE congratulations to you on the new job. And doing so well on your first day!

October 22, 2005 1:49 AM

Blogger evilsciencechick said...

Congrats! Now you'll be the breadwinner of the family! and you can come home from work and ask SSB "where's my pie, beeotch??"

heehee...just kidding!

October 22, 2005 6:09 PM

Blogger evilsciencechick said...

holy shit...that is a long-ass spam comment!

October 22, 2005 8:46 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

OldRoses, I may not be the poster child for front desk office worker, but she is getting a bargain by hiring me! Efficiency is my speciality.

ESC, he'll be my kept man ;)
I think that was the longest spam comment that I have ever gotten! I always wipe the spam clean so there is no link from my site beaconing out to other spammers that the water is fine here.

October 22, 2005 9:32 PM

Blogger Wendy A said...

Way to go! Lots of luck in your first few weeks!

October 23, 2005 5:20 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Wendy A, thanks, I will need it. I've never had any formal training in office work, so I need to learn a lot there too. My keyboarding skills are practically non-existant compared to the girl that I am replacing. But I told the owner that before she hired me, so I'm sure that she is willing to give me time to show what I have to offer.

October 23, 2005 4:03 PM

Blogger Sandy said...

Way to go Sylvana! Getting the job is the hard part,everything else you'll figure out.

October 24, 2005 10:43 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Sandy, that is exactly what I was thinking!

October 24, 2005 11:43 AM

0 comments:

About