It's Not A Tumor!

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 | 0 Comments

Well, it was a tumor, but it wasn't cancer. A couple of weeks ago we noticed a growth under Zero's front leg. Today he had it removed so that we could see definitively what the hell it was. It was a fatty tumor. Thank goodness! He's such a great dog, I can't imagine things around here without him.

I love dogs and thought that a dog would be great for JD as he was growing up. We stopped at a couple shelters to look at dogs, but just could not find the right one.

One day, a feeling came over me. I get these feelings every once in awhile. They are like visions. If they are strong enough, I must act on them, no matter how far-fetched they seem. They almost always turn out to be true. This day, I had a picture of a dog in my head. It was the perfect dog and it was at the local shelter. We hadn't been at the local shelter in a few years. They never have any decent dogs- just a lot of hounds and guard types. But here was this vision compelling me. I asked SSB if he wanted to go, and he said "why not?" He knows that it is futile to resist me.

We walked up and down the aisle looking in all the kennels. Hound after hound was all we could see. Oh, there were a few ancient toy poodles and spaniels, but I wanted a younger dog; they were not the dog that was in my vision.

The woman asked if we wanted to take a coon hound out for a walk. I was sure that it was not the dog for us, but I figured that it would be nice to take the dog out while we were there. It was a friendly dog. She really liked JD. But it was not the dog I came for.

We put her back and as we were walking back down the aisle to leave, disappointed that my vision was false this time, I caught a glimpse of a dog I hadn't noticed before. We had walked by that kennel at least four times and I could have sworn that it had been empty. I turned to look. It was the dog from my vision! I could tell that he had gathered all his courage to get up to the kennel door. He just stared at us quietly.

I asked to take him for a walk. He let me lead him very quietly out the door and into the snow. As soon as we were about 50 feet from the building his attitude seemed to completely change. He sprung into life, knocked me down into the snow, wagging his tail and licking my face incessantly. We all started laughing, knowing that this was our dog.

He had had a hard life. The previous owners had abused him. He had ended up at the shelter when a neighbor called to let the shelter know that he had been left outside for three days and the owners had moved away. Three days in February! If I ever found out who those people were, I'd beat the hell out of them and tie their asses to a post in the middle of winter for three days- buck naked too!

He had some issues due to this hard life and it has been a long, hard battle. He is very dog aggressive which makes it hard to take him for a walk or even have out in the yard. He is very anxious and relieves his anxiety by peeing. Sometimes he even pees on people. It is hard to have anyone over because he complete freaks out at the door then usually pees on them. Yeah, that's not generally socially acceptable.

I often thought that most people would have just brought him back to the shelter, unable to cope with his problems. But I would have had much more issues with chewing, cat harassment, or people aggression than a little bit of piddle on the floor.

He actually is a fabulous dog who knows the rules and can be trusted to follow them even when there is no one watching. We can leave food sit out and he will not touch it. Even if we leave the house. He knows exactly what is his to chew and leaves everything else alone. The cat will tear into the garbage, but Zero would never do that. He will occassionally pull things out and we always know it was him since he will leave it in a neat and clean anal-retentive pile. The butter wrappers clean as a whistle pressed and stacked. The garbage is never knocked over or more than a foot from the can. It really is quite amazing.

He is full of love and loves to be cuddled. I always joke that he would be so happy if I could get a snuggly in his size to carry him around all day. He loves to be touching you, and would really prefer to be sucked to your chest with his head on your shoulder. He knows when you aren't feeling well and will stay with you to comfort you with those worried, soulful eyes.

I was so glad to hear that it was not cancer! What would we do without this little love bug?

Here is a picture of the damage, if you are into that kind of grossness. Just in time for Halloween! But be warned...it is gross. There is a tube sticking out of him to help with drainage so he can heal faster. EW!!!


16 Comments

Close this window Jump to comment form
Blogger Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

My pup is turning 10 - I can't imagine her not being with me. She's the only one who's always glad to see me come home, and even though it's because she knows I'm going to feed her, I still appreciate it.

October 11, 2005 8:43 PM

Blogger evilsciencechick said...

I got Sadie from the Humane Society. She was one out of many many black lab mixes there, but something about her spoke out to me.

Zero sounds like such a great doggie! Glad he's OK. Lots of love and biscuits and he should all better soon!

October 11, 2005 8:59 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Shamus, that really is one of the truly great things about dogs- they run to greet you as if you are the best treat in the world. That is fantastic for the self esteem!

ESC, we got both dogs at shelters. I think that there are so many great dogs out there that need homes, I wish I could bring more home with me. In fact, with heating costs going through the roof this year, it might actually be cheaper to have a dozen dogs running around heating the house!

October 11, 2005 9:33 PM

Blogger OldRoses said...

Good for you for choosing and keeping Zero and providing such excellent medical care for him. Not everyone cares that much. I love your idea of heating the house with animals. I was just thinking tonight that I'm glad my 20lb Maine Coon is finally getting affectionate and wanting to lay in my lap. He's big and warm and furry, a real plus in these days of high heating bills as you pointed out.

October 11, 2005 10:58 PM

Blogger Shannon said...

Yay for Zero! I love dogs, and I'm happy you're able to give him such a great home. He's one lucky pup.

What's funny about your story is when I was trolling the local shelters I was looking for a hound (as opposed to a pit bull) ! We finally found one at the humane society, and now I can't imagine having any other dog...eventhough she's trying to sit on my lap right now!!

October 12, 2005 8:51 AM

Blogger Randi said...

i love my dogs...all four of them...i could not be without them....im glad yours is ok!!!!

October 12, 2005 10:20 AM

Blogger Derek Knight said...

at least he's doing ok now.

October 12, 2005 10:52 AM

Blogger Astoria said...

Yippie for Zero! I am so happy that little quarkie dude is okay! How did we ever get along without our animal friends?!

October 12, 2005 10:52 AM

Blogger sands of time said...

Zero is beautiful.His wound doesnt look too bad,its nice and clean.I dont how people can be cruel to their pets.

October 12, 2005 12:06 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

OldRoses, years ago when we were renting a place that didn't allow cats our friend said that she'd take him in until we could get a different place. Turned out her daughter was allergic to cats so we got him back sooner than we were ready. We had to board him in a kennel and pay an early lease ending fee in order to keep him. It was over $500 and people thought we were crazy, but then they also think we are crazy for forking out cash every month for hyperthyroid meds for him every month now. He's our kitty and we love him.

Shannon, if you are looking for another hound, come visit our shelter!! We also have a lot of rottie and pit bull mixes;)

Randi, four? Then you are well on your way to home heating this winter! Too bad you live in a desert.

Derek, he's going to be just fine. He'll most likely get more lumps, but we now will know that they are just fat tumors.

Astoria, he definitely has character!

Pink Lady, he is beautiful, isn't he? When we brought him home all our friends and neighbors were suprised that we got such a fine looking dog from out local shelter. They were certainly jealous!

October 12, 2005 9:18 PM

Blogger SierraBella said...

I looked at the picture, and it looks like the vet did a great job.

We have three dogs, and it really does keep the bedroom warmer during the winter!

October 13, 2005 1:36 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Sierrabella, unfortunately due to my allergies, I can't have my pets in my bedroom. The dogs sleep in my son's bedroom. He needs them more, though. His room is much colder.

October 13, 2005 1:57 PM

Blogger nope said...

I'm glad your dog is OK. I didn't look at the picture, but I trust Sierrabella's opinion!

May I add a fellow Northerner to my "Favorite Reading" list?

October 13, 2005 6:33 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Indiaiynke, welcome to my blog! Thanks about my dog, and feel free to link me.

October 13, 2005 8:27 PM

Blogger Lyvvie said...

I'm glad to hear the lump was nothing more sinister. Nothing worse than worrying over a sick pet...well except worrying over a sick child, or Husband, they really are the biggest babies when sick those Husbands are don't you think?

Anyways, glad too hear the good news but I don't think I'll peek at the visual, thanks.

October 17, 2005 1:46 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Yeah, Lyvvie, I know what you mean! It's a good thing that women have such a huge capacity for caring. Without that, the human race probably would have died out a long time ago!

October 17, 2005 8:55 AM

0 comments:

About