Contact

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 | 0 Comments

This morning at 8:30am I got a call from the woman who sent the assessment test. She wanted to set up an interview! Yay, for me! I must have done well on that test. I told her that I could meet with her this afternoon.

SSB had a half-day today so we could go see the workforce development case worker about his dislocated status (his plant is closing in a month, and because more than 50 people will be losing their jobs, he qualifies for some benefits under Wisconsin law). I got ready early so that I could relax and figure out how I might answer various questions that my interviewer might ask.

Curled my hair- perfect! Did my makeup- perfect! Now to eat breakfast!

That's when I found a present from little Neo on the laundry room rug. He's been having some difficulty asking to go outside. He likes to poop by the cat litter and in our bathroom. It's something we had to work on with Zero too. When they go into shelters, they get accustomed to using their kennel as a bathroom and need to be retrained. So I had to stand with him outside for 20 minutes hoping that he would do something so that I could praise him. No luck.

SSB got home and got ready, and that's when I noticed the frizz taking over my hair. Ugh!! I tried a couple of products- still frizzy!! It's this stupid humidity! There is only one thing left to try. I have to wash my hair and dry it with my ionic curler-dryer. But I only have 30 minutes!

As I am washing my hair, I get deodorant on my hands (don't ask). The stuff is like tar! I try to wash it off, but it just sticks and is now smeared all over my hands! Now my hands are sticky! Yuck!

I am desperately trying to get my hair dry fast, yet frizz free, when SSB says that I should just stay behind and get ready for my interview while he goes to his thing. His appointment was at 1pm and mine was at 3pm. The locations were about a 40 minute drive apart. I was about to take him up on it, but I felt that I really needed to go. I gave up on my hair and went with him.

Everything at his thing went fine, except that it ran a little late - 2:05. We rushed back home to grab the directions to my interview. As I bolted out of the car to get the directions out of the house, I slipped a little on what I thought was mud. Yeah, you guys are smart. It wasn't mud. But I didn't figure that out until I tracked it all over the house! YUCK! It wasn't my dog's poo either! It was in the median where they can't go. Some jerk let his dog shit right in front of our house and didn't clean it up!

It's on my boot and I'm trying to clean it off so I don't reek like dog shit through the interview. SSB's yelling at me to get to the car cause we are running out of time. I grab a paper towel and book it out the door. He takes off like a mad man. I grab some hand sanitizer from the dash to clean my boot off. It takes the color off the leather! WTF?!

I start yelling. SSB swerves to turn around to go back home. I yell, "No! Go! There is no time. Just go!!" He whips the car around to get me to the interview. As I'm frantically wiping hand lotion on my boots to counteract the sanitizer, I see that SSB is covering his mouth so I won't see him laughing.

Oh, go ahead and laugh! It is funny. My hair is frizzy, my hands are sticky, I'm running late, my boots are nearly ruined, and there's a dog shit smell emanating from them. Seriously, what could be funnier? It's like this was scripted for comedy.

I don't care what is trying to keep me from this interview, I'M GOING TO THE DAMN INTERVIEW!!

I got there on time and I think things went well. At first. Towards the end I babbled a little too much. I'm not counting on getting this job, but at least I didn't give up. I did it, and now I am even more ready for my next interview. Now, I just need to get another desperate employer to call me.

9 Comments

Close this window Jump to comment form
Blogger OldRoses said...

I love your attitude toward that interview. I hope you do get more interviews but I also think you aced this one and will be offered the job. Loved your tale of woe about getting there.

October 05, 2005 12:08 AM

Blogger Shannon said...

I hope you got it too.

SSB is a dislocated worker? Wow, sorry. My organization is Workforce Investment Act provider (That's a fed program) and there's always a mad rush to get the dislocated worker numbers...I hope they can find him another, better job...he may qualify for retraining money, fyi.

October 05, 2005 8:59 AM

Blogger Astoria said...

Hey aren't you used to stuff like this happening to you? I hope you get it!!

October 05, 2005 9:37 AM

Blogger Randi said...

im sorry to laugh at your expense but that was funny! good luck!

October 05, 2005 10:02 AM

Blogger Derek Knight said...

well...

um...

you made it. Way to go there.

Best of luck in the future (God knows you'll need it, at this rate).

October 05, 2005 10:35 AM

Blogger sands of time said...

Doesnt everything always go wrong.Hope you get the job though

October 05, 2005 12:08 PM

Blogger ORF said...

Hey, if they can't handle a little dog poo on your shoe, then you don't want to work for those people!!!

Good luck to both you kids on the job front.

October 05, 2005 1:41 PM

Blogger DrMax said...

Syl, that sounds like a classic Dr. Max experience. The more you need things to go smooth, the worse the day goes. Good luck to you and SSB.

(P.S. Also, I want you to know I'll be off line for a few weeks, don't take my lack of comments personally. I'll catch up at the end of the month.)

October 05, 2005 4:44 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

OldRoses, I don't like to waste things, so I like to get something useful out of what ever I can.

Shannon, they are writing up a grant right now. We have to wait to see if he'll get any money for school. He is eligible for some good financial aid though, so we might not need the worker grant.

Astoria, why do you think it is so easy for me to keep going despite it all?

Randi, hey, I laughed too!

Derek, that's exactly what I was afraid of!

June, thanks. All I can do is laugh it off.

ORF, I like that advice. I am bound to make some mistakes and if they want absolute perfection, well, that just sounds too intense for me.

DrMax, thanks. Enjoy your time off! I'm miss your witty comments.

October 05, 2005 10:21 PM

0 comments:

About