0 for 3

Thursday, October 06, 2005 | 0 Comments

*SIGH*

I was supposed to be at my interview at 11:45am this morning. I even called to make sure that my appointment was in fact at 11:45am so that I would not show up at the wrong time. When SSB came home for lunch, he asked when my appointment was. I told him 11:45am.

So why did I think that I had until 12:00pm to get there?

What is wrong with me?

In my defense, I was fighting off a migraine. Those things do disturb my sensibility. I'm hoping that whatever it was, this was the end of it! I have to do some sort of anti-curse procedure. Anyone got any suggestions?

The woman interviewing me said that it was OK that I was late, but really, what do you think? I think she was just being polite. Other than this, I know that I did very well in the interview. I didn't babble. I answered all the tough stuff with ease. I think that she was seriously considering me. Now if she can just forget that I came in late.

Question: when they ask if you have any questions, is it OK to ask what the job pays and if there are benefits? I think that it should be. It IS a very important part of your decision to take one job over another, after all. But everytime I bring it up, it seems to make the interviewer rather nervous. Then I start to wonder what they are trying to hide. It really shouldn't be that difficult. Do they not remember what they paid the last person? Did they not sit down and go over their budget to see how much they had to pay out for the position? It just feels like I'm talking to a car salesman. JUST TELL ME THE FRICKIN AMOUNT!!!

The woman that emailed me about my resume has yet to get back to me. I bet she is mulling over that stupid mistake. You know, when employers are trying to narrow down their choices, it is not a good idea to help them along with stupid mistakes.

OH WELL! There will be other interviews. I like to think that even when things look like they are going badly, they are actually going well. For instance, maybe I am killing my chances on getting these jobs because there is a MUCH BETTER job coming up! So, I'm trying not to stress too much over these. But it is getting down to the wire. I hope that perfect job comes SOOON!!!


(Now, where's that ice cream?)


-----------------------------------

Other news...

I would like to introduce you to a couple of blogs.

My best friend in town just started her blog. I got her hooked just like I did to SSB! Heheheh! Her blogger id is Astoria. You may have noticed her comments on my blog recently. I'd like you all to give her a big HELLO!

The other blog is one that I am co-blogging with Canuk called Northern Latitudes. It will contain over-run from our blogs, mostly centering on less serious political ideas, satire, funny/weird news- generally things that wouldn't fit in our current formats. I already contributed a post about the gay marriage bill in California. It is my first time writing political satire, so be gentle!

19 Comments

Close this window Jump to comment form
Blogger sideshow bob said...

Stop it! Stop obsessing about that word! She said she was "very impressed" with your resume.

p.s. I am so going to enjoy that cake!

October 06, 2005 9:46 PM

Blogger sands of time said...

Your too tough on yourself Sylvana.When the right job comes along you'll get it.

October 07, 2005 10:40 AM

Blogger Sniffy said...

Job interviews are all a load of bollocks. I hate the "Have you got any questions for us?" bit because, by that time, you just want to get out of there. Of course, one good question is: "How well does this job description reflect what the job is actually like, and what is the staff turnover like?" You could always try "Are you really OK, or are you just pretending to be nice because you have to?" There are loads of questions, but it's best just to keep quiet because they always seem to go on the defensive when I ask them. Can't think why.

October 07, 2005 10:58 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

SSB- Ah, you know I will make cake whether she calls or not. I love cake!

Pink Lady, that's what I'm hoping for!

Tina, welcome to my blog! Maybe I should just go hard core on them. "Have you ever been convicted of a felony?" I could ask them if they'd be willing to submit to an honesty test as well!

I can't wait to be done with all of this!

October 07, 2005 11:54 AM

Blogger ORF said...

I'll bet when she read over the email she didn't even notice. Most people already understand the intended meaning of a sentence before they've read the entire thing because the brain uses the first few sounds to trigger an inference and process the rest of the word on its own. In other words, we "predict" what we are going to read word by word, so there's a good chance she didn't see it missing at all!

October 07, 2005 12:15 PM

Blogger ORF said...

OH! And...nice picture :)

October 07, 2005 12:15 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

ORF, I am well read in the Gestalt Theory. I do have a degree in psychology after all :) Doesn't make me any less neurotic, though!
And thanks for the compliment!

October 07, 2005 12:24 PM

Blogger Randi said...

i think you will be fine in the long run!!!

October 07, 2005 3:11 PM

Blogger Grace said...

Good luck. Don't worry about the missing word. Somehow it already has been "decided": small mistakes in business e-mails don't count because it's not "real" correspondence. The main exception to this rule is if you leave out something like a totally negating word (eg, "not").

As for money, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS ask for more. A useful guideline: Cameron Diaz is making $20 million per movie. Adjust accordingly.

October 07, 2005 11:38 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Randi, I hope so!

Grace, welcome to my blog! I have yet to hear back from this person, so I am assuming that the decsion is "no". Which is weird after she emailed me saying that she was impressed with my resume. Oh well, I don't want to work for fickle, flaky people.

October 08, 2005 10:40 AM

Blogger SierraBella said...

Love the new picture!
You'll probably get three job offers at once, so don't sweat it.

October 08, 2005 1:18 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Sierrabella, thanks about the picture. I am already missing my old icon, but I am giving this time to see if I'll get used to it. I also was a little wary of putting a real picture of me up, but what the hell! I think all of you deserve to see at least a little of what I look like.

Three job offers at once?! AH! Then I would have to make a decision!!
I guess it is better than not having a job.

October 08, 2005 9:44 PM

Blogger Maria said...

Oooh, you are so pretty! I love that you have your picture on your blog now.

I have been late for an interview too and it's never a good thing. One time I didn't ask any questions at an interview and I didn't get the job. I think they thought it was weird that I didn't ask them anything about the job.

October 09, 2005 8:39 PM

Blogger OldRoses said...

Salary is never a good thing to discuss during the first interview but asking about benefits is good. I know it's hard, but try to be patient. Sometimes companies take a while to make hiring decisions so you may not hear from interviewers for a week or two. I feel your pain. I went through it twice in three years. I was laid off, spent six months looking for a job, got one, absolutely hated it (they lied to me about the job during the interview) and then spent close to two years looking for another job while working at the nightmare one. It was worth it though. I love my current job, the people I work with and the company I work for. Hang in there.

October 10, 2005 12:52 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Maria, thanks! I'm going to leave the picture up for awhile.
The interviewers did such a good job of covering the job descriptions, that it was hard to think of something to ask.

OldRoses, I don't understand why salary has to be so taboo. It is a very important factor in making a decision. If they are secretive about the salary, then I begin to wonder how good an employer they would actually be.

October 10, 2005 12:51 PM

Blogger The Doc said...

See, I would disagree with OldRoses and say you should ask about benefits and a general salary range. Both for your own best interest and for future decision-making. I mean, if you ever get into a situation where you're offered more than one job, you should know what to expect at each of the jobs. Not that money should be the number one factor, but if you're offered two nearly identical jobs, then salary and benefits should definitely enter into it.

(Also: the picture! Man, it's all little and bitmappy, but from the looks of things, SSB is a lucky man. Brains and looks...)

October 10, 2005 1:21 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Yeah, Doc, that's my thought exactly! Not that I'm too worried about multiple job offers...
And you are right, SSB is a VERY lucky man! And I am a VERY lucky woman. :)

October 10, 2005 1:42 PM

Blogger Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

The only question I ask on job interviews is;
"Are you guys strict about the dress code here? Because I usually like to wear chaps."

October 10, 2005 8:45 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Shamus, I'm using that at my next interview.

October 10, 2005 9:12 PM

0 comments:

About