Self-Sabotage

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 | 0 Comments

I just retrieved an email response to my resume from another potential employer. They said that they were impressed with my resume and wanted to set up an interview as soon as possible. They had sent the email on Tuesday! How did I miss that?

Needless to say I speedily sent a reply. Ten minutes later, I got a reply back saying that she would contact me soon about setting up an interview. Then I noticed that the email I sent her was missing a whole word in one sentence!

A WHOLE WORD!!!

How can I convince an employer that I would be someone who has great attention to detail if I leave out a whole word? Instead of "will work well for me", it read "will well for me". Ugh! I just keep messing up! I may never get a job at this rate!

I also have another interview tomorrow morning at a library. If I can get through that without making a fool out of myself, it will be a miracle. Maybe I should take a different angle when describing what I have to offer- I could tell them that they will never have a dull day if they hire me.

12 Comments

Close this window Jump to comment form
Blogger Wendy A said...

You crack me up! Your last few posts made me laugh. I guess you just have to make sure that you see the humor in life and not take it all too serious. Thanks for the chuckle. Your talents will soon be discovered.

October 06, 2005 4:04 AM

Blogger Shannon said...

Job hunting is so stressful. I'm laughing because I've been there and I know how you feel. Good luck in everything.

October 06, 2005 10:26 AM

Blogger sands of time said...

Im sure employers are not as hard as you think.Everyone is nervous at interviews and stumbles and talks too much.

October 06, 2005 10:38 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Wendy A, I learned a long time ago that it was best to be able to laugh at myself. BELIEVE ME!! I laugh at myself ALL THE TIME!!! :))

Shannon, this is stressful. I'm hoping that someone will hire me soon and put me out of my misery!

June, I hope you are right. I am a perfectionist, so I don't always know when I am expecting too much of myself.

October 06, 2005 11:00 AM

Blogger The Doc said...

On the bright side, they e-mailed you back saying they still wanted to meet with you. Now you can wow them with your personality!

"Uh, this applicant forgot a word in her e-mail."
"She's gotta be better than the trained circus gorilla in a pantsuit we just interviewed."

October 06, 2005 11:43 AM

Blogger Maria said...

At least you're getting interviews! I've only been working two days a week since July and can't find another dentist who is even looking for a hygienist. I feel your pain and I wish you the best of luck.

October 06, 2005 12:51 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Doc, you're right- I AM better than a trained circus gorilla! And I KNOW I look better in a pant suit!

Maria, I am very grateful that at least I am getting interviews. So I blow a few. I will learn and move on. Hope you get a good job soon! If you want to move to the Twin Cities I see lots of adds for FT dental hygienists!

October 06, 2005 1:11 PM

Blogger SierraBella said...

Hey, you're doing fine!
You're right though, they won't be having any dull days if they hire you.

October 06, 2005 2:33 PM

Blogger Derek Knight said...

eh, what worried about? knows people read everything.

usually inferred.

to worry.

nothing to.

seriously.

October 06, 2005 4:37 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Sierrabella, I think that might be a big plus in most office settings!

Derek, you're right. It could have been worse.

October 06, 2005 7:57 PM

Blogger Sniffy said...

I sometimes leave entire sentences out of things and get away with it. This is mainly because nobody ever reads anything that I write.

October 07, 2005 10:54 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Tina, if they are down to not even reading what I write, then I am in a bad position indeed!

October 08, 2005 9:37 PM

0 comments:

About