Unclear on the Concept

Wednesday, August 17, 2005 | 0 Comments

SSB was having a rotten day yesterday so he was really itching to get his hands on the 6th season of The Simpsons, stat! As we were driving to our local department store (because you should always buy where you live) he was telling me how he had to deal with morons all day and it had been driving him insane. It was like they were going out of their way to do moronic things. I had worked where he works now for almost four years, and I can vouch for that- they really do seem to go out of their way to do things as back-asswards as possible.

We get to the store and we are greeted by the person that was assigned that day to wait by the door until we came so that they could pull out in front of us with their cart and keep us from getting around them as best they could. But, we are thin and wiley- she didn't stand a chance!

When we got to the DVD section, there it was in all it's glory! 6th season! SSB starts looking for a price. Everything else is clearly priced, except the one thing that we want. Oh, that secret mischievous agency has got us again!

Just as SSB asks me if there is a price checker around, a lady just around the corner of the aisle, within arms reach away, starts talking loudly into a device that I can't quite see. I think to myself that she must be a store worker calling into a walkie-talkie. I peek around the corner to check it out.

This lady is not a store worker. She has a cell phone in her hand and her arm stretched out as far as it will possibly go. She is screaming at it, "DID YOU ALREADY GET THE ALEXANDER DVD?!!!"

From the other end you can here someone screaming back, "WHAT??! I CAN'T UNDERSTAND YOU!!"

"I SAID- DID YOU GET THE ALEXANDER DVD?!!"

"WHAT?!"

"THE ALEXANDER DVD?!!"

I'm standing there, jaw dropped in disbelief. What the hell is she doing? The speaker phone is for when you need to keep your hands free. SHE HAS THE DAMN PHONE IN HER HAND!!! PUT THE DAMN THING TO YOUR EAR SO THE REST OF US CAN HEAR OURSELVES THINK!! Talk about someone going out of their way to do moronic things!

18 Comments

Close this window Jump to comment form
Blogger Sask 1 said...

that was so funny
June

August 17, 2005 10:09 AM

Blogger Sandy said...

aahh..Morons...we have them in Canada too.

August 17, 2005 10:47 AM

Blogger evilsciencechick said...

that woman deserves a 1st degree beatdown.

August 17, 2005 11:19 AM

Blogger SierraBella said...

I'll bet the person she was talking to was shopping in the same store.

August 17, 2005 12:59 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

June, thanks.

Sandy, really? I guess they everywhere.

ESC, OH YEAH!

Sierrabella, yeah, most likely.

August 17, 2005 4:07 PM

Blogger Derek Knight said...

holy crap...I...

wow.

August 17, 2005 5:04 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Derek, exactly.

August 17, 2005 5:54 PM

Blogger sideshow bob said...

These people could use some skydiving lessons!

August 17, 2005 6:25 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

no lessons, just skydiving.

August 17, 2005 6:26 PM

Blogger Shannon said...

At what point do we break down and stop being polite and start saying what we're thinking, or at least a nicer version of what we're thinking? For example, "Do you mind taking the phone off of speaker phone, it's quite irritating?" or "I notice your having some problems with that phone, let me help you take that off of speaker phone," or "Do you mind respecting the people around you, moron, and turning off speaker phone?"

ARGH!

August 18, 2005 8:28 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Shannon, I seriously was going to say something, but SSB was already so stressed, I didn't want to make it worse.

August 18, 2005 8:34 AM

Blogger Jennifer said...

Wow. Just wow. Hehe!

August 18, 2005 9:07 AM

Blogger DrMax said...

So anyway, I told them I'd drop by later and Janet just freaked so, can you hold on a sec?.. Hi Syl, I really hate it when people are rude and talk on their cell phones when they should be... WHAT? SHE DIDN'T? Bwah ah ha ha ha ha! That is unbelievable! Wait, hold on, I'm commenting on a blog right now... where was I? Oh yeah, rude people not paying attention to what they should be do.. GET OUT! Seriously? No, THAT so sounds like something Frank would do...uh huh...right...yeah.....

August 18, 2005 12:11 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Jennifer, who raised these people?

DrMax, I have at least three friends that are extremely rude when it comes to using the phone. Three that will put me on hold to chat with another friend. I just hang up. One of those will also take a phone call while I'm visiting, and keep talking for about 20min to 1/2 hour. I've started just getting up and leaving. And that same one will come over to my house for a visit, then call people on her cell phone to chat. SERIOUSLY! WHO RAISES THESE PEOPLE?

August 18, 2005 1:04 PM

Blogger ORF said...

HAHA! THe first time I read the first sentence about morons, I thought it said "MORMONS"!

August 18, 2005 1:56 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Hey, those mormons are pretty nice people. I like them even more since they don't show up on my doorstep every other month trying to trick me into taking their "literature".

August 18, 2005 3:15 PM

Blogger OldRoses said...

The only thing worse than speaker phone is speaker phone while blocking the aisle. I could not believe this woman today who not only had to share her conversation with everyone in the vicinity, but because she was standing at the intersection of several aisles, had everyone at a dead stop waiting for her to either move or finish her conversation.

August 22, 2005 12:57 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

I think there are way too many people that are oblivious to the fact that they are not alone. And if they KNOW they are not alone and just don't give rip- well, that's just that much worse!

August 22, 2005 9:07 AM

0 comments:

About