The Poll Is Gone

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 | 0 Comments

I have heard that Bravenet likes to stalk and harass people, so I have decided to take a break from the poll for awhile until I get some further information. Cookies sound all sweet and innocent, but that's how the witch lured in Hansel and Gretel.

I was rather surprised at the outcome of the last poll. There was a tie between those who felt it was their life line and those who didn't own one (22% each). The runner-up was those who used it for emergencies only(17%). And then it was people who use it as a stalking device(13%). I have a friend that uses it to keep tabs on her boyfriend. She knows the code, so she can see everyone that he has called and who has called him. She has already found out that he is a BAD BOY!
Pager and weapon use were tied at 9% each. The rest were all 4% each except no one said that they were too expensive to own. EEK! I hope the cell companies don't see this! My bill is high enough already!

Which brings me back to the reason that I created this poll. Since I sent out the letters to my renters once again explaining that they should NOT call me on my cell phone unless they have already left a message at my home phone and it is a dire emergency, I have not gotten any calls from them on my cell phone. One renter did start calling SSB's number though. Ugh! But it was only once that I know of, and it was about dropping off a payment. That's very important, but not an emergency. I let him know that SSB's number was not our home phone and that's what he should call instead.

I think I got through to them. Only time will tell. If they still won't behave, I will have to start using my phone as a weapon, too! NO NON-EMERGENCY CELL PHONE CALLS EVER!!*



*parody of the scene from "Mommy Dearest" where Joan Crawford is beating her adopted daughter with a wire coat hanger. One of my all-time favorite movie lines.

8 Comments

Close this window Jump to comment form
Blogger Jennifer said...

I had no idea Bravenet did that. And here I was just on there and creaed another poll.
I will be watching them. And so will my software.

August 23, 2005 11:02 AM

Blogger SierraBella said...

I thought about adding polls, glad I decided not to.

That Bush montage from Saturday is great!

August 23, 2005 12:39 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

I'm still gathering information to see if what I heard was true (Bravenet supposedly throws tracking cookies on visiting computers from the polls). I figured that it was better to be safe than sorry. Plus, I have noticed that my page loads much quicker!
And thanks, Sierrabella. I was really surprised that some found it offensive, but I can understand their point.

August 23, 2005 1:34 PM

Blogger Randi said...

does the map do that too, or just the polls?

August 23, 2005 1:39 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

I have only heard it about the polls, and I'm not even sure if the rumor is true yet. I'd hate to lose my map, but the poll wasn't an issue for me.

August 23, 2005 2:34 PM

Blogger sideshow bob said...

Warm and fuzzy hollywood moment...

August 23, 2005 10:16 PM

Blogger Dr. Who said...

I did a small search on line and this is what I came up with:
Bravenet does seem to use cookies for tracking and advertising (link). Even Ad-Aware recognizes sometimes these cookies as spyware-tracking (link).

However, they do recommend themselves AdAware as an efficient anti-spyware program! (link).

I used their stuff quite a lot in the past. They were a good value for their (zero) money. I stopped using them for no particular reason, just because their advertisements became too annoying for my taste.

As for the spyware issue, I can only say that I am confused...

August 24, 2005 1:55 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Thanks, Dr Who!! That was a big help. And that is weird that Bravenet tells its patrons that spyware and adware are problems they should protect themselves from, but then THEY use it themselves! Silly Bravenet!
I still need to find out if the map is affected. Or should I say infected?

August 24, 2005 11:37 AM

0 comments:

About