I'm feeling especially patriotic today, so I decided that we should all put our hands over our hearts and pledge allegiance to Old Glory. My Canadian readers are exempt from this exercise, but feel free to participate if you like. It could be fun.



"I pledge allegiance to my flag and the republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Oh, hey! I think I wrote that wrong. Where's the stuff about God and the implications that our country pledges its allegiance to said god, or that it lives for and/or under God's laws?

Well, sit down. This version is the ORIGINAL version written in 1892. For over a half century, THIS was the pledge that was used. THIS was the pledge that was used during the Great Depression. THIS was the pledge that gave our heroic troops strength through WWI and WWII, as well as the Korean War.

After the wars, a religious movement that had been started after the Civil War (I'm assuming to try and gain control of the government some other way since they couldn't do it with force- SUCKAS!) was revived to scare people to God. People were told that if they didn't repent to God that we were all doomed to die a horrible death by nuclear weapons and the godless heathens- the Soviet Union. Well, you know, THAT'S why they wanted to do us in, after all. We loved God and they were evil, demon bastards that started foaming at the mouth and bleeding through the ears at the mere mention of God. The fingers started pointing, and the witch hunt began. People were so afraid of looking like Soviet sympathizers that they started jumping the God Wagon. One of these events was the changing of the Pledge of Allegiance in 1954 to include the words "under God" after nearly a year long battle.

Other things that went churchy at this time were:
* Our White House. Eisenhower began the tradition of the prayer breakfast.
* Our money. The words "In God We Trust" were added to all our paper money in 1955.
* Our motto. Congress officiated "E Pluribus Unum" in 1956.
* ALMOST our constitution. In 1950, legislators also introduced Constitutional amendments to state that America, and thus Americans, "devoutly recognizes the Authority and Law of Jesus Christ, Saviour and Ruler of nations, through whom are bestowed the blessings of liberty."

Yeah, they were trying to trump our constitution with the "law of Jesus Christ". First off, Jesus never wrote or signed any document acknowledging his word or "law". Second, if our founding fathers had wanted us to be ruled by the Bible, they would have saved themselves the headache of composing and just said "We the people, shall do whatever the Bible says." Sign and date here, and initial here, here, and here. Notarize and record.

But they went to great pains to make sure that there was a distinct separation of the church from the state and vice versa. There is NO MENTION of God in the constitution save for when they are talking about how the government should deal with the institutions of religion. A few of the signers (Benjamin Franklin for one) brought up the desire to throw some Gody stuff in there, but they were quickly voted down. Our founding fathers did NOT want God to be part of the government.

This movement is trying once again to skew the facts and inject THEIR religion into OUR government. They use scare tactics. They point fingers and say that to go against them is unpatriotic because there are so many God references in our government that it is CLEAR the founders of our country intended God to be one of the branches of government. They either do not know the truth, are hoping you don't know the truth, or don't give a rat's ass because they are self-righteous dipshits that are trying to over-throw the government that was established over two hundred years ago by some pretty wise men and feel they are doing a damn fine job of it.

24 Comments

Close this window Jump to comment form
Blogger sideshow bob said...

Testify!

August 18, 2005 5:31 PM

Blogger DrMax said...

You know what's depressing, I felt this battle was over, that we learned in the last century that seperation of church and state WRITTEN IN THE CONSTITUTION was a great thing!

It lets you believe whatever you want, go to whatever church you choose, and if you can't find one to your liking START YOUR OWN! I can't stop you. I defend your right to do it!

But all the guys we have monuments for in DC believed that government should have NO part in this. N-O-N-E! See then we can all get along, church deacon and goat worshiper alike, all under the flag of this great nation.

Just stop you fundamentalists, for the love of this country stop! Worship how you will, but please confine your pity party about your imaginary persecution to whatever private property you own (which usually is not required to pay taxes by the way.) Tattoo the 10 commandments on your chest if you want, just leave my courthouse alone!

Great post Syl, way too long a comment, sorry. This is just one of those issues that make my teeth grind.

August 18, 2005 6:26 PM

Blogger Indigo Red said...

Constitutional fundammentalist is what I am. The Constitution that I nearly memorized complete is not the one we have today. The Grand Old Rag (parchment, actually) has been so disfigured, abused, raped, and trashed neither I nor the Founders recognize it. All of the political parties have had more than their fair share of sundering over the years.

And, where's the part about "invisible" in the Pledge? It was there the last time I looked.

August 18, 2005 10:09 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

SSB, you know I will!

DrMax, I like to see people get as worked up about this as I do. Thanks.

Indigo Red, sad isn't it?
And the "invisible" part is invisible.

August 18, 2005 10:37 PM

Blogger Shannon said...

I'd comment, but you pretty much said it all. ::applause::

August 18, 2005 11:49 PM

Blogger Sask 1 said...

As a Brit i'll just say i find it very interesting to read your post.I do also agree with many of your points.
June

August 19, 2005 9:30 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

**taking a bow** Thank you Shannon.

June, the 50s sucked ass.

August 19, 2005 9:37 AM

Blogger Shannon said...

Sylvana, do you often get frustrated living in Wisconsin? I remember visiting and feeling so argh because of the closemindedness and conservativism of family, etc...

August 19, 2005 10:47 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Shannon, Wisconsin is generally conservative- however they are more the kind that say, "Hey, you stay out of my business and I'll stay out of yours." That's a conservative that I can respect.
I do run into A LOT of people here who have issues with things that are outside the box they are obviously living in. But I have met A LOT that are really open to new ideas and change and aren't afraid to try new things. I think a lot of Wisconsinites still have a lot of that pioneering spirit in them. They will try new things, but only after careful consideration. Which is good, because then they aren't fad hoppers and easily fooled by others.
We have consistently voted for Democratic presidents, and even our Republican governors have been along the lines of conservative liberals. Our motto should be- If it ain't broke, get your frickin dirty mitts off it!
Whenever the more conservative people here start driving me up a wall, I just think to myself- Thank goodness I don't live in the South!!

August 19, 2005 11:47 AM

Blogger Scott said...

I would take offense, Sylvana, but you're right. I'm here taking one for the team. Shannon, if you think Wisconsin is frustrating, try living with Southerners. Aren't you from Texas originally? You know what frothers are like. I just live next door to all of them.

Sylvana, I did like the addition of "of the United States of America" in the pledge - I have no objections to that.

August 19, 2005 1:28 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Oh, definitely, Scott. It think it flows better. And we really ARE the United States of America. We are not, however, "one nation under God" and were never required to be. So I'm not pledgin that!

And, It's always refreshing to see someone who doesn't take offense to the truth ;)

August 19, 2005 2:35 PM

Blogger Dr. Who said...

Well, it is really relieving to read such a post from a US citizen... as a European I never understood all this "God save the USA" stuff. All the others are supposed to go to hell?

thanks.

August 20, 2005 12:19 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Welcome to my blog, Dr. Who. Great name by the way. And thanks for commenting.

There are A LOT of people in the US that feel VERY STRONGLY about the separation of church and state. They want ALL references of God removed from ALL the government documents that people have managed to sneak them into- and I agree. It just doesn't belong there. It's government, not religion.

August 20, 2005 11:45 AM

Blogger sideshow bob said...

I'm glad they left the "ladies drink free on Thursdays" part out of the Pledge...it's just so unseemly!

August 20, 2005 7:25 PM

Blogger JoyLuck said...

Okay, I have to defend Southerners a little bit here being one myself.

First let me state that I WHOLE HEARTEDLY agree with everything Sylvana's post is saying and it wasn't news to me either. I substitute teach and when we stand for the pledge I edit out the "under God" - I ain't pledging to that either, no way. And I discuss with the high schooler these very facts about the original pledge and changes that were made to it.

C. In defense of Southerners, let me caution against stereotyping. I would respond similarly to Syl's defense of Wisconsinites: "I do run into A LOT of people [in the South] who have issues with things that are outside the [often uber-religious] box they are obviously living in. But I have met [and grew up with] A LOT that are really open to new ideas and change and aren't afraid to try new things."

# 4. Slightly off topic here, but I think it is a real shame that today beign republican means "super scary religous freak". Anyone who's talked with a 20-something self proclaimed republican will know what I'm talking about. But, if you talk to someone in their 60's or 70's whose republican you are very likely to find that they are atheist. And conservative, yes, but it ain't about religon or God. In a conversation with them you can debate big vs. small government, fiscal and tax issues, but not religous issues like abortion. In fact, this type of republican is more likely to be pro-choice because that means more rights in the hands of the individual and not in the hands of the government.

Third and lastly, I think it is SOOO great that in contrast to "In God We Trust" on our U.S. currency, "Novus Ordo Seclorum" (New SECULAR Order)and the "all seeing eye" also appears on the back of the U.S. dollar. Also the fact that the mason's seal is a triangle (delta) representing change is reassuring. (All this you can learn by reading Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code" or is it "Angel's and Demons"?)

Sorry for the long post so late in the game. . .

August 21, 2005 10:58 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Hey Joy Luck! Nice to see you!!
Oh, you know I wasn't refering to ALL Southerners.

I know what you mean about Republicans. As I said in a previous comment, our Republican governors have been pretty good. They have been more like the "old" Republicans. I've been very happy with them. However, I have been seeing quite a few of the "new" Republicans trying to gain office here, and it scares me.

That is true about the dollar. But that is NOT true for all our bills. Those other things are more of symbols representing an idea, while "In God We Trust" is not. Perhaps if they put it in Latin, it would be more on the lines of those other items.

August 22, 2005 9:26 AM

Blogger Van! said...

and I thought I knew it all :-)

wow... I agree... in god we trust is indded not.

where in Wisconsin!

August 22, 2005 5:55 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Hey Van!! Welcome to my blog. That's quite a picture that you have over on your blog!

I have lived in lots of different areas of WI, but right now I live by the Twin Cities.

August 22, 2005 8:42 PM

Blogger MacHeadCase said...

This prayer thing and pledging allegiance is all a matter of interpretation. I like pasta, myself.

I love the clock you have on your blog BTW. It's so cool!

August 23, 2005 4:13 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Ahhh! That was funny! Good stuff, MacHeadcase!

August 23, 2005 10:19 PM

Blogger JoyLuck said...

Good point on the "IGT" definitly having a more significant place on the currency - rather unfortunate . . .

August 27, 2005 4:31 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

But you know, JoyLuck, that only was put into place in the 50s but people point to it like it has always been there so it's sacred. I think that we should take it back!

August 31, 2005 6:47 PM

Blogger Flubberwinkle said...

Hi Sylvana!
I followed you from your comments over at "Things I Wonder About". I chose this post to comment because I feel strongly that church and state should absolutely be separated. Unfortunately this is a thorny issue in Greece (where I'm from). I found your info on the "Pledge of Allegiance" very informative and I agree wholeheartedly with your views!
I like your spunk (and your avatar)!
You are sooooo bookmarked!
Best regards!
Flubberwinkle aka Athena from Athens

February 08, 2006 6:28 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Flubberwinkle, welcome to my blog! Always glad to have new people aboard!

I just hope that the whole world doesn't think that we all a bunch of religious nutcases. Those god-freaks like to think that they are a vast majority here, but as you have seen in these comments (such as Joy Luck's), they are not. They just know how to whine louder and more annoyingly. The majority of Americans do believe in God, but the majority aren't god-freaks.

I personally lean more towards putting my faith in science and philosophy. But that's what I believe in. And as much as I wish more people would share my views, I wouldn't want to shove it down their throats.

February 08, 2006 8:22 AM

0 comments:

About