Of Mattresses and Middle School

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 | 0 Comments

I finally got a hold of the principal. He said he tried to call me but then realized that he was calling the wrong person. Oh no, this isn't looking good. He did sound super nice though. Let's all cross our fingers.

We set up a meeting for tomorrow evening at 5 but he has already called to change it for Friday at 5:30. That actually works out better for us anyway. JD has been busy writing up a list of questions that he wants to ask him, and I'm writing up my own. If they were interesting, I would put them here, but its pretty boring, run-of-the-mill stuff. I do want to know about phy-ed (known as "fizz-ed" to some). I want to find out if he can substitute an outside class for the one that the school offers. Gym is evil! EVIL I TELL YOU!

I also have to ask him about the school psychologist. I want it to be very clear that under no circumstances is that "man" to have anything to do with my son! I already told JD that he is not to say anything to this putrid excuse for a human being other than, "I'm not allowed to talk to you. I need to call my parents." And I am letting the school know this upfront so they can't blame JD for being evasive or flippant.

-------------------------------------------------

I was reading an article in Consumer Reports that said that mattresses were rated #2 behind cars as the most stressful thing to shop for. I understand that totally! But we have finally made a decision about the mattress that we want. We are getting the Tempurpedic Deluxe. We get a 90 night in home trial. If we don't like it, we can get a full refund. Now that is what I call stress free mattress buying.

We went to the store to get the paper work done. There was another awful salesperson working tonight- Brenda. She wasn't nearly as annoying as Carl, but she did come close a couple of times. She reminded me of Mimi from The Drew Carey Show. She was only missing the mumu and the industrial makeup.

Do you need any help?

No. We already have all the information about the beds right now, but if we had any questions we will come find you.

Ok. [then starts rehearsed speech about the bed that we were laying on].

I'm not interested in hearing anything about the bed right now. Leave us alone and we'll come find you when we need you.

[stops abruptly and looks surprised]Ok, I'll be around if you need me.



And she left us alone!! but don't get too relaxed. She later scolded SSB for five minutes about laying on his stomach. And she kept going even after I told her that he doesn't sleep on his stomach, but she did it while walking away, which I guess was something anyway. She also argued with me about which mattress was softer over the course of 20 minutes. And she told us that she had a Kingsdown mattress while we were trying that one out, but we later overheard her telling another couple that she had a Tempurpedic. How many damn beds does the woman have anyway?

I did go to the manager and complain about Carl. It needed to be done. The manager took notes and told me that Carl is usually very good at pairing a mattress with people, but he's not always a good communicator. I'D SAY!! And as far as the pairing, he wasn't even hitting the mark with me. The manager said that he would give us a discount, but couldn't because of the Tempurpedic policies (they have some pretty strict policies concerning the retailing of their mattresses, one of which is that the mattress can't be sold below a certain amount). So I say, what about throwing in a frame? Yes, I can do that, he says. Well, ALL RIGHT! Now that's what I'm talking about!

I'm feeling pretty good about this mattress buy. It's so wonderful to have it done. We are expecting it to come in sometime next week and I can't wait!

15 Comments

Close this window Jump to comment form
Blogger DrMax said...

This is awkward, I never know what to say in these situations. Happy Mattress to you? A Merry Mattress to you and yours? May you and SSB have many joyful years upon your new mattress? See what I mean? They all end up sounding kinda dirty.

August 03, 2005 11:17 PM

Blogger evilsciencechick said...

may your mattress be long lived, comfy, and er...umm...sturdy.


hehehehe...

August 03, 2005 11:18 PM

Blogger DrMax said...

JINX ESC!

August 03, 2005 11:20 PM

Blogger cookie christine said...

The last time I went mattress shopping, I noticed that different places have the same bed but with different names. And it's really hard to compare prices across stores, especially if the names don't match. I think it's a conspiracy to drive us completely insane.

August 04, 2005 8:04 AM

Blogger Shannon said...

Congratulations on your new matress, but argh how frustrating!

Good luck on the meeting with the Principal.

August 04, 2005 8:20 AM

Blogger Sask 1 said...

Well may your mattress give you many nights of pleasure.Good luck at the school tommorrow.
June

August 04, 2005 8:57 AM

Blogger Jennifer said...

Let us know how your new mattress works out. I am been thinking about buying the Tempurpedic one as well.
Happy mattressing!

August 04, 2005 9:21 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

DrMax, I know what you mean!

ESC, "sturdy". Hehehe!

Cookie Christine, they really do have different names depending on the retailer! I just found that out the other day. Sometimes the manufacturer makes the bed a little different for each store too. Now doesn't that sound like even more of a headache?

Shannon, thanks! I think the worst is over. The principal sounded like a really nice guy. But we will see.

June, "many nights of pleasure", I'm counting on it!

Jennifer, I have been to other blogs that were talking about mattresses and the people would comment on how much they loved their mattress, but wouldn't say what kind it was!! I will positively be letting you all know how I feel about this bed.

August 04, 2005 9:37 AM

Blogger ORF said...

Dude, when I bought my mattress, I just picked one out online and then called 1-800-Mattress ("Leave off the extra 'S' for 'Savings'") and they delivered it like two days later. I had no clue it was such a big deal!!!

August 04, 2005 11:03 AM

Blogger Randi said...

let me know how the temerpedic is because we are going to be getting a new mattress soon i think

August 04, 2005 11:24 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

ORF, did you realize that you spend a third of your life on your mattress? I want something that will revive me not fight with me all night long.

Randi, I will be giving updates on my Tempurpedic experience. That you can count on!

August 04, 2005 11:51 AM

Blogger OldRoses said...

I had no idea that mattress shopping was so traumatic. I knew exactly what I wanted when I went shopping because I had slept on one for years at a relative's house. I love my Beautyrest!

August 04, 2005 11:00 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

OldRoses, I was actualy thinking of getting a Beautyrest. I had heard some good things about it.
What makes it so traumatic is spending that much money on something that you can't return and can't really re-sell and finding out later that you HATE it! That's why I can relax now. I have 90 days to decide and I can get my money back if I don't like it enough to keep it. AH! Sweet relief!

August 04, 2005 11:18 PM

Blogger Indigo Red said...

I bought one of those fancy, high tech, space age, foam mattresses two years ago. It's great!

At 1500 smackeroos it's rather expensive for something upon which I will be mostly unconcious. But, it's comfortable and supportive.

Why, just last week, I had a big, difficult decision to make and of all my friends and family, my mattress was the most supportive.

August 07, 2005 12:51 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Indigo Red, glad to hear that you and your mattress get along so well. I hope I have the same luck with mine.

August 07, 2005 11:15 PM

0 comments:

About