The Force Pays Off

Monday, January 09, 2006 | 0 Comments

I have really strong feelings about things sometimes. Some people would call them gut feelings or intuition. I call it "the force" - not because I am a Star Wars geek or anything (actually, my brother adored that movie and watched it so many times that I came to kind of dislike it). I call it that because it feels like a force filling me with energy and certainty. When I feel this "force" I must act on it no matter how crazy or improbable it seems. It used to scare SSB because I would come up with these crazy plans and insist on following through with them (like the time I came home from work one day told him I quit and that we were moving all the way across the state to Minnesota even though we didn't have any jobs, housing, or day care over there). But they always work out, so he has learned to trust "the force".

Today SSB and I came back from lunch and I picked up the paper (something that I have been avoiding for awhile now because I just don't feel that any of the jobs will be right for me, so what is the point?). I quickly scan the ads. There are a few ads that I might be eligible for, but it is a pharmacy assistant ad that sparks that feeling. I called to see if the job was still open; it was.

I hung up the phone and told SSB that I was going to go get that job. I quick whipped up a resume, ran down to the library to print it off (our printer kind of sucks). Went to the pharmacy and gave them my resume.

The pharmacists spent about 5 minutes looking it over. They told me that they were very impressed and happy with my resume. I was perfect for the job - when could I start?

YAY!! I start tomorrow. I will be able to keep the library job too. I will be making the same as I did at the appraisal office, and this job seems perfect for me! They generally want someone who can organize their systems and make things more efficient for them.

EFFICIENCY IS MY MIDDLE NAME!!

They were all really nice, down to earth people. I can't wait to start!

20 Comments

Blogger evilsciencechick said...

YAYAYAYAYAYAAYAYYAYAYAYAAAAAY!

congrats! pharmacy assistant - very impressive! Just don't skim off the percocet stock ;)

January 09, 2006 5:20 PM

Blogger Lindsay Lobe said...

Sylvana’s Syllogisms her Scottish resource
Awaken her mind and she ‘s part of a “force”

She looks in the paper for signs of a job
Secures a first interview first stop is the shop

Tears down the drive, she forget to lock up
But soon out again to be part of the game

Attend a fast interview, sign on the job
Fly through the air, she’s part of the force

Nobody stares at her flighty affairs
Sylvania’s Syllogisms for who can compare

January 09, 2006 6:04 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

ESC, ooo, you're onto me! That's how I was going to make up for the lack of insurance.

Lindsay, what a lovely poem! I love how you encorporated the things that you have learned about me. :D

January 09, 2006 6:12 PM

Blogger Wendy A said...

I have the "force" too. It certainly is important to listen to it. It has saved my bacon on several occasions. Now if it would just let me know where the next winning lotto ticket might be.

January 10, 2006 3:56 AM

Blogger "AG" said...

Oh cool! Congrats!!!
(I moved to Maine on a gut feeling...this from someone who grew up in NYC. Gut is God, I always say. Just don't confuse w/indigestion).

January 10, 2006 7:01 AM

Blogger sands of time said...

Congrats.sounds like a great job.

January 10, 2006 9:36 AM

Blogger Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

Crap - evilsciencechick totally stole my percocet comment.

Trust in the force. Just beware of the dark side - look what it did to Anakin!

January 10, 2006 11:50 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Wendy A, if I ever get that feeling about six numbers I'm buying a ticket for sure!

AG, SSB and I visited Maine once.

Maine is a very scary state!

Pink Lady, thanks. I actually had a very good first day. I think that this job will be just right for me!

Shamus, it can be a very scary thing for some people, but I think that they get used to it once they have spent enought time with me to get that "the force" is a very handy thing!

January 10, 2006 6:20 PM

Blogger nope said...

Syl, that is just terrific news! Good things are happening all around me, which is my sign of the 'force' - usually a 100% indicator that good things are going to happen to me too. Isn't that weird? It seems like happiness is catching - but it's always other people's first, (which is as it should be) and then mine.

YOU GO GIRL!!!!

January 10, 2006 10:13 PM

Blogger DrMax said...

Congrats Syl! Good luck on the new job! Also, can you buy some lottery tickets for me?

January 10, 2006 10:26 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Indiaiynke, hopefully I will be able to keep this job longer than a month!

DrMax, thanks. Depends on how big the pot is.

January 11, 2006 7:58 AM

Blogger "AG" said...

Maine is scary?? It's a very large state. What part did you vist??

January 11, 2006 8:03 AM

Blogger Shannon said...

Sorry, I haven't been able to read/comment in a while, but CONGRATULATIONS! YAY!!!!

January 11, 2006 8:33 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

AG, SSB and I visited Maine about 14 years ago. We went from New Hampshire across to Bangor then took 1 down the hell out of that state as fast as we could go! This is a very long story. Maybe I'll do a post.

Shannon, thanks. Everything is going well so far. I really like it there.

January 11, 2006 5:32 PM

Blogger "AG" said...

Oh, of course, Bangor IS scary! But not all of Maine is like that! I love Maine.

January 11, 2006 5:53 PM

Blogger OldRoses said...

I'm way behind reading blogs, but I wanted to say a huge CONGRATULATIONS!! I have my own version of The Force. I call it my gut talking to me. I've learned the hard way that it is always right.

January 13, 2006 9:45 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

AG, in Maine's defense, it was right after Halloween and they still had all the decorations up -- at least I HOPE they were decorations!!

Old Roses, yeah, you really can't try to out-think the force. You just have to do what it tells you to do.

January 14, 2006 4:36 AM

Blogger "AG" said...

No, that was the laundry the locals hung out to dry. :)

January 14, 2006 12:42 PM

Blogger Douglas Cootey said...

Way to go, Sylvana. Acting on instincts can lead to happy new places: Serendipity. It's good that you act on good instincts. What a terrible thing if your power was turned to the dark side and you acted on evil instincts. ::shudder:: OK, I've watched too much Star Wars...

January 15, 2006 6:29 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

AG, Maine locals have some gruesome looking laundry!

Doug, my friends and I always talk about how lucky the world is that I use my powers for good instead of evil!

January 15, 2006 3:53 PM

0 comments:

About