Two Weeks Later...

Wednesday, September 14, 2005 | 0 Comments

We had our first conference with JD's teacher last night. This was a planning conference. We tell the teacher what goals we have in mind for the school year and let the teacher know of any concerns that we might have. The teacher uses the information that we give them in order to better serve the student. His teacher advisor seems fairly nice and interested in finding ways to meet JD's needs. We did request that JD be monitored for distraction. I told him that it was just a part of his nature and that he didn't mean disrespect by not paying attention- that's just the way that he is. The TA made note of that and said that he'd let JD's other teachers know to move him to the front if he seemed to be drifting off.

It's too soon to give an informed review, but so far, middle school seems to be working out OK for JD. He's doing very well in all of his classes. He's been finding all of his classes without problems and says that he has plenty of time to get from one class to another. He has been making it to the bus on time (which was a concern- in elementary school they had to give him an extra 20-30 minutes to get ready to leave because he was such a slow poke. They were concerned that he had OCD because he would put on and take off his gear so many times. Nope. Just a very sensitive perfectionist. Everything had to be just right).

In fact, a lot of the issues that had plagued him in elementary school seem to have fallen away during his time being homeschooled. He is far more able to handle frustration. He's not quite the perfectionist that he used to be. He's better able to communicate (although this one still needs ALOT of work!). He's not pissed off all the time. He's still very distractable, but then, so am I. I think that one he'll be battling for the rest of his life.

It has only been two weeks though. I'll guess we'll see how things continue to go.

10 Comments

Close this window Jump to comment form
Blogger Rae Ann said...

Your son sounds like my 9 year old. I have a meeting later today with his teacher about some of those same issues of distraction and not getting work done.

September 14, 2005 10:16 AM

Blogger sands of time said...

I hope it all works out for you.I used to have many problems with my oldest son and school.

September 14, 2005 10:17 AM

Blogger Spencer said...

Just give it a little more time I am sure it will work out!

September 14, 2005 10:22 AM

Blogger Shannon said...

:: crossing fingers :: So far, so good!

September 14, 2005 10:30 AM

Blogger The Doc said...

I echo Shannon's sentiment. I'm happy for all of you that things are going well, and I'm sure it'll keep being good. But what I want to know is: how's the ice cream situation? Have you passed the 4 liter mark?

September 14, 2005 1:00 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Rae Ann, I would definitely request that they seat your son in the front. Some teachers take offense and assume that the child is being bad, but with JD anyway, he just plain can't help it. So we need to do special things to try and make up for it.

June, did things get better? What worked?

Spencer, I hope you are right.

Shannon, exactly! I'm so glad things are going well so far, but I am still remaining attentive so that I can take care of problems while they are still small.

The Doc, I went light this time and ate a half gallon of wild strawberry sherbert. And a few Reese Peanut Butter Cups- not all together, although that might not be so bad. Like a big, sinful PB&J. Mmmmm!

September 14, 2005 2:34 PM

Blogger OldRoses said...

Sylvana, I'm so glad to hear that JD is doing so well. How much weight have you gained worrying and eating ice cream?

September 15, 2005 4:57 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Old Roses, my body has a set weight that it adheres to strictly. No matter how much or how little I eat, it will remain at the weight that it has chosen. That may sound good, but not when I need to lose at least ten pounds and can't because of my damn stubborn body!!

I guess I can take comfort in knowing that it is only ten to fifteen pounds and not WAY MORE!! But I still like it better when it was set at my perfect weight and I could eat EVERYTHING and not gain a pound! Ah, that was sweet!

September 15, 2005 5:23 PM

Blogger Sandy said...

I am glad everything is going smoothly for JD. Is the school huge?

September 15, 2005 9:58 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Nah. Even though there are supposedly something like 500-600 students in it, it is relatively small.

September 16, 2005 6:56 AM

0 comments:

About