HE'S ALIVE!!!

Thursday, September 01, 2005 | 0 Comments

I picked JD up from school at 2:30. I was actually surprised that he remembered that I was going to pick him up. I half expected him to just jump on a bus.

When he got in the car, the first thing he did was apologize for being late.

No problem I said. He really wasn't late.

Then he apologized for losing the Sharpie I sent with him today so that he could label his things. I had told him to make sure not to lose it, but, what are you going to do? It was bound to happen.

Then I asked him how school went.

OK.

I told him that was not a sufficient answer. I told him he'd better cough up some more information.

He said that school was really hectic, but generally OK. He found his classes all right except that a few of the rooms were mislabeled on his schedule. He also didn't have band today. He told me that he was a little embarrassed when he was getting out of the car today with his instrument and didn't see any other kids with theirs.

So THAT was why he looked a little weird this morning when I was dropping him off!

I told him that I saw a whole bunch of kids coming out of the school with their instruments. He said that he saw that too. He was glad that he wasn't the only one.

He said that there were some really short kids in the 7th grade. He says they make him feel like he's a giant! He has always been tall for his age, but I remember seeing quite a few tall kids in his class at open house Tuesday. And a lot of them were girls!

All of his really good friends are in the other house (the school is split in two. each side is a different house, almost like a separate school). That sucks, but he says that he still gets to see them at lunch break. I asked if he made friends with anyone from his house. He said that there were a couple kids from summer activities in his house, but he wasn't sure how he liked them. He said one of the girls appears to have some sort of bee in her bonnet (those were his words!).

He's pretty sure that his classes won't be hard and he likes his teachers so far. He actually looked very happy and excited to have gone. But he was also a little tired from the hustle of it all.

He also announced that he feels that he made a very good impression on people today. I told him that a first impression in these situations is very important. He said that he feels that they were most impressed with his hygiene.

I couldn't help but laugh as he whipped a comb out his back pocket and ran it through his hair like a character from Grease. He's a such a schmoozer!!

He said that he is also going to take better care of his skin. He saw a boy today with a big, red sore on his face from acne and doesn't want that to happen to him. He does have acne prone skin, so I started him on a regime about two years ago to get it before it starts. He still gets outbreaks, but they aren't very bad. I just hope that it stays that way.

I'm so glad that everything went well. I figure if he has mostly good days for the first month, everything should be just fine.

12 Comments

Close this window Jump to comment form
Blogger evilsciencechick said...

uh oh sylvana...you might have to start word verification on your comments...

anyway, hooray! see, we all TOLD you he'd be FINE! and what a little smoothie!

except...you might want to tell him to stop saying "bee in her bonnet." that's the kind of stuff that will get him duct taped to a bench.

September 01, 2005 7:11 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Even if I got him to stop saying that, there's still so many other things that he does that would do it. I think our strategy will be to hope kids think it kitschy. I think he might have the right personality to pull that off.

September 01, 2005 8:19 PM

Blogger Shannon said...

High Fives to you and JD. I love the image of him and the comb. If that doesn't say "I'm the cool, ironic kid that chicks dig," I'm not sure what does.

September 01, 2005 8:58 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Thanks, Shannon. He is quite a character!

September 01, 2005 9:15 PM

Blogger DrMax said...

Is JD da man? Oh yes, he most cetainly is!

September 02, 2005 2:53 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

He likes to be cool. But not the jerk kind of cool.

September 02, 2005 9:42 AM

Blogger OldRoses said...

Sounds like JD had a GREAT first day. See, you worried for nothing. You're such a great mom.

September 03, 2005 12:04 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

My worry is never for nothing! It is all just part of the process.
But thanks! I am a great mom!

September 03, 2005 8:47 AM

Blogger Indigo Red said...

You are soooo funny, Sylvana. No wonder your husband hangs out with you.

Don't stop JD from using obscure phrases. No, no! Teach him more. It's/She's/He's the bees knees is one of my favorites.

But then, I am a middle-aged man who lives alone with his cat and spends alot of time chatting on the computer with people who may not even exist. *sigh*

September 03, 2005 9:54 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

That's a good idea, Indigo Red. If he's going to do it, he might as well do it all the way!
"Bee's knees" indeed!

September 05, 2005 11:48 PM

Blogger ORF said...

Sorry to be a little delayed...I'm catching up! You're so prolific.
Anyway, I'm glad to hear the first day went well!!

September 07, 2005 9:24 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Thanks, ORF. He is still having a good time at school, too.

September 07, 2005 11:45 AM

0 comments:

About