Rock Stars Do the Darndest Things

Wednesday, September 14, 2005 | 0 Comments

JD and I were watching "Rock Star: INXS" tonight. I love INXS. I totally had a crush on Michael Hutchence. Hated him with short hair, but he could still sing beyond just singing even with a bad hair cut. If you ever get a chance to see the movie that Michael was in, "Dogs in Space", see it. It was really good. But then again, the last time I saw it I was 17.

On the show a guy named Marty broke a guitar. JD asked why he did it. SSB explained that the destruction of an instrument during a performance was a symbolic gesture to show that the music had reached a level beyond the instrument's capability. It was supposed to show a nirvana of musical proportions. But, he explained, that it has lost that meaning since everyone does it now just for the hell of it- as this guy Marty had just done. He hadn't even started playing yet for crying out loud! JD was not impressed by that. He said that a person shouldn't waste good instruments like that. I told him that it was probably just a piece of crap guitar that never stayed tuned. In fact, I told him, I've got a guitar upstairs that could use a good thrashing.

Later another singer tore his t-shirt during his performance. JD asked why he did that. I said, cause he's stupid and he thinks it makes him sexy. JD shook his head. The guy finaled the performance by falling to his knees and ripping both the knees out of his gold lamé pants. (Oh yeah, I said it- GOLD LAMÉ! With a t-shirt. And he had Pat Benatar hair. I have no idea what this guy was going for).

Just as the guy is wrapping up his spiel for INXS about how he has grown over the last few weeks on the show (I can't vouch for the validity of the spiel, this was the first time I saw the show) JD says, "You know, that guy is going to really regret tearing that shirt."

Ah! I've taught him well! Now if he'd just put that into practice and quit wiping his hands on his pants and his face on his shirt...

11 Comments

Close this window Jump to comment form
Blogger DrMax said...

"It breaks my heart to see those stars,
Smashing a perfectly good guitar."
John Hiatt - Perfectly Good Guitar

September 15, 2005 3:53 AM

Blogger Spencer said...

I agree easy on the guitars you rock heads.

September 15, 2005 8:59 AM

Blogger sands of time said...

I love that show.
It makes those Idol show contestants look like amateurs.

September 15, 2005 10:15 AM

Blogger Shannon said...

I also loved INXS (and Michael Hutchence). I haven't been able to watch the show 'cause I didn't want to feel that all that music had been reduced to reality tv and Americal Idol level...and maybe 'cause I didn't believe they'd find another frontman nearly as hot as Michael. (We were on a first name basis during my pubescent fantasies.)

September 15, 2005 10:34 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

DrMax and Spencer, if they are playing on a guitar that means so little to them- they obviously are not real musicians.

June, I thought that this years Idol had some great talent. But I don't know if any of them wrote their own song and music!

Shannon, unfortunately, if they are really planning on having any of these people be their singer- plttt! They aren't that great. No deep, mysterious, tingly sex appeal. Not even sort of.

September 15, 2005 11:57 AM

Blogger The Doc said...

I only watched a few minutes of Rock Star INXS, and they really shocked me. I mean, I know most music is manufactured and packaged, but I thought this kind of a dog-and-pony show was above the guys in INXS, especially after really examining the spectral hole that Michael Hutchence left. He had substance and style; these guys only have the latter. I thought the "Idol"s were bad; this is much worse.

September 15, 2005 2:56 PM

Blogger OldRoses said...

I've become my parents! When I was young, I thought it was so coooool when they smashed their instruments and ripped their clothes off. Now I agree with my parents. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Sigh . . .

September 15, 2005 4:59 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Doc, I'm a little disappointed in them too. Like Michael could be replaced using some TV show contest. That's direspectful!

OldRoses, I've always been old in thought. My friends have always refered to me as "Mom", even when I was 15! Not that I couldn't have fun >:) just that I would never allow senseless destruction in my presence.

September 15, 2005 5:29 PM

Blogger Rae Ann said...

I agree with the other comments on what a waste it is to smash instruments. It seems so cocky to think that your music is beyond an instrument's ability. That is truly a rare occurance, esp. in rock.

September 16, 2005 7:31 AM

Blogger sideshow bob said...

How much did you pay
for the chunk of his guitar,
the one he ruthlessly smashed
at the end of the show?
And how much will he pay
for a brand new guitar,
one which he'll ruthlessly smash
at the end of another show?
And how long will the workers
keep building him new ones?
As long as their soda cans
are red, white and blue ones!

Cake-Rock 'n' Roll Lifestyle

This is the first Cake song I heard, and it's still my favorite.

September 16, 2005 4:42 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Truly, Rae Ann!

I LOVE CAKE!

September 16, 2005 5:46 PM

0 comments:

About