Bring Me Your Aged and Confused

Thursday, October 26, 2006 | 0 Comments

As part of my job I have to try and explain things to confused elderly people.
Like copays.
"But I have Medicare. Medicare takes care of everything."
Or deductibles.
"But, I already paid that last year."

Today I had the joy of talking one woman down from a heart attack - 'cause she's old enough to have them, she kept reminding me.

And she was expecting trouble. She had her game face on and came at me guns a-blazing. This was not the first time I've gotten calls like this. I get them at least twice a month. I just keep calm and re-explain it until they understand.

But when they finally understand and realize that I have helped them, their demeanor changes. They thank me for my patience, my time and my help.
I just tell them, "No problem; that's what I'm here for."

Even though talking to them may be frustrating, I find that it is one of the more rewarding parts of my job.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

That takes a lot of patience. The medical system is confusing enough as it is- I can't imagine how hard it is to understand for someone who lived most of their lives without all the bureaucracy of Medicare and insurance.

Sylvana said...

Shannon, it does take a lot of patience. I like that I am helping people that would have trouble finding help with all that mumbo-jumbo.

0 comments:

About