My dachshund waits all day for our nightly pre-bedtime snuggle. The last week has been rough on him since I really haven't had time for it. He's a very patient dog, but I think that he was sort of getting depressed from the lack of snuggle. So tonight I made a point to set some time aside for him.

As we were snuggling on the couch, he heard SSB come back from work and leapt off the couch. I figure since he's up I might as well open the door for SSB. I start to talk to SSB on the porch when I notice something unusual behind him on our screen.

I look away and looked back just to make sure that my eyes were not deceiving me. Then when I was satisfied as to what I was witnessing, I said to SSB, "Um, we have a flying squirrel on our screen."

He looks at me funny, "What?" and I know he's about to ask if I'm high.

"Look behind you. There's a squirrel behind you." He's still giving me the funny look as he turns around, and I'm thinking as the words are coming out of my mouth - that just sounds ridiculous.

But there really WAS a squirrel on our screen:



This squirrel let me get right up to it to take a picture of it several times. This is the best one I could get with our crappy camera - but it is indeed clearly a flying squirrel.

What a treat. I think it was attracted to all the insects hovering around our light.

The last time I was this close to a flying squirrel, it almost landed on me as it was gliding past.

8 comments:

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

Maybe he was just admiring your new floors.

Shannon said...

LOL! Maybe he wanted to snuggle with you guys too.

DrMax said...

Was there a talking moose nearby?

sideshow bob said...

I think he did have a Wattsamatta U tattoo on his butt...

Sylvana said...

Shamus, you always make me laugh at work!

Shannon, I read that flying squirrel were quite sociable, so maybe they would be into group snugglefests.

DrMax, no, and I didn't even see a moose in Grand Marais either.

SSB, I think that was just a rub on.

Elizabeth said...

Cool! We get deer in our yard. And regular squirrels. But no flying ones.

Laurie said...

Wow! I had a giant moth on my screen door once but a flying squirrel beats that by a mile.

Sylvana said...

Elizabeth, we live 2 blocks from our city's center and we have had deer in our yard too. Our neighbor said that one tried to "mate" with his deer statue.

Laurie, You probably had an emperor moth on your screen. I actually have a kind of funny story about my first encounter with one; which I may post about...

0 comments:

About