Shopping Games

Sunday, August 13, 2006 | 0 Comments

We were at Sam's Club yesterday buying new shoes for our car. I am a HUGE Michelin fan, so even though they are quite expensive, I alway get them. They are like really good sneakers for your car. Quiet, grippy goodness.

While we were waiting for the shop guy to get our paperwork finished to start the job, I was looking around to see how many people were in the store. I wanted to go shopping in the store and wanted to know what I'd be up against. As I was sizing up the mob, I realized that I could not see a single person smiling.

Not one.

I mentioned this to SSB and even the shop guy stopped to look out at the people. We all just stared out there at them. Not only were they not smiling, but most of them actually looked grumpy, perhaps even "pissed off" would not be too strong a description.

Just as we were discussing what exactly it was about the store that would make people so unhappy a guy walks by with a huge slice of pizza and he has the slightest grin on his face.

I shout, "OH! There's someone with a smile!"

SSB says, "Well, that's not so much a smile as it is a look of contentment."

Even the shop guy nods in agreement.

So what has sucked all the fun out of these people? Long lines? Getting frisked at the doors? Knowing that it will probably cost them $25 in gas just to haul that barrel of mayonnaise, 100 rolls of toilet paper, and 50lbs of meat home in their SUVs?

Eh, what ever it is, it sure is fun to try and find one of them let loose and smile, and it made me really glad that I wasn't one of them.

9 comments:

Laurie said...

I was at Sam's yesterday, too. People didn't seem particularly grumpy even in the outrageously long checkout lines. Even the lady I saw in the parking lot who just dropped her box of two dozen cupcakes didn't seem particularly upset. I wanted to cry FOR her but she seemed fine. Odd. She must use better drugs than me.

evilsciencechick said...

maybe sams was out of packages of 40ct toilet paper. or 12 packs of ketchup.

that would make ME grumpy.

Sylvana said...

Laurie, just as I feared - it isn't Sam's Club that makes them grumpy - these people are bred grumpy. Thank goodness I don't really live there!

ESC, Sam's Club always seems to quit carrying things that I get hooked on. Like the mocha mix, potato pearls, gatorade, Dreft, Triscuits, .... grrr!

evilsciencechick said...

...potato pearls?

Heather said...

No one at the Sams I go to is ever happy. Customers and employees alike are always grumpy. I don't go there anymore - it depresses me!

DrMax said...

See? That's why you need more Costcos back there in Packer country. People still buy the gallon drums of Worcestershire sauce, but they seem happier about it.

Sylvana said...

ESC, they are instant mashed potatoes that look like tiny pearls, and they are delicious!

Heather, we laugh at them. It is pretty funny to see all these signs around the store that tell people how great they should be feeling about the wonderful benefits that they get at Sams and then seeing the people all grumpy.

DrMax, I've never been to a Costco. Do they give out happy pills at the door?

sands of time said...

Ive never been to a sam's .They have a costco here.Probably similar thing.

http://pinklady.typepad.com

Sylvana said...

PinkLady, I think that they are very similar from what I have heard of Costco.

0 comments:

About