Out of Left Field

Monday, July 17, 2006 | 0 Comments

There have been a lot of things happening to me very unexpectedly lately. It's rather unnerving. Much like having to go in to tell my bosses the bad news today. One of the biggest problems was that they don't work at the same time until 1pm and I wasn't about to wait until then to suddenly go, "Oh, by the way..."

I was really hoping for the one in particular to be working this morning. I'll call her Blue since she has the prettiest blue eyes. She has been the easiest for me to talk to of the two, and with her having a family, I figured that she would be more understanding.

Instead, it was Elle (which is also not her real name - must protect the innocent and all that). I went right up to her as soon as I got there and told her that I needed to talk to her about something as soon as she got a chance.

She came right back to my office. I immediately gave her the chocolate and she then knew that it was very serious. I explained the circumstances of the job offer and that SSBs unemployment would be running out in a month. I said that I needed the job for the benefits, too. I explained that I intended to continue to work at the pharmacy, but that it would mean that we would have to make some decisions as to what was the most important things for me to get done - insurance calls or banking.

At that moment I saw a look of great concern and concentration on her face. I realized that I had been a bit presumptuous about my position at the pharmacy, so I added, "I mean, that is if you would like me to continue to work here."

She without hesitation said, "What do we need to do to keep you? What are they offering? We'd like to try and match."

I was taken back, but started with, "Well, the reason that I am considering this job is because I will need the extra money. They will have me full time and will pay me $10 an hr to start."

"We can do that."

I added quickly, "But mostly it is the insurance. I have a family. We have lived without insurance before and it is too worrisome."

Then she said something that I had not even thought would be possible, "That shouldn't be a problem. We will get you insurance." She said it so easily that I wasn't sure that she had understood what I was saying. But before I could reinterate, she continued, "You are a great asset to our business. You are very bright. You have picked up on things so fast. You dig and dig and find problems and solve them. I never have to worry about finding you work. I just don't have to worry about the insurance or billing at all. It is wonderful! We really don't want to lose you. We will figure out a way to get you what you need."

I was stunned. This was not how I had imagined this going at all. WOW! I can keep a job I love and get the benefits that I need? That was just too good to be true.

When Blue came in a couple of hours later, she said very seriously, "Let me save you the trouble of the awkward explanation, Elle already called me. I just want to say that you really need to think about what you need and where you would really be most happy working."

I said, "Are you kidding me? I LOVE working here!"

She smiled, looking so relieved "GOOD! I mean you don't want to assume, and you try to put your emotions aside in these situations -- I was hoping that you would feel that way! You have just done so much for us. We really don't want to lose you. We have to get together tonight to go over our offical offer to you, but I am 95% sure that we can match or at least come close to what they are offering."

I said, "Oh, I have chocolate for you."

She gets a huge smile. "OK, I'm 99% sure that we can match."

I called the HR person at the other job to explain what was going on. I asked if there was any way that they could wait until Wednesday for me to give my answer. She sounded a little defeated, but agreed easily to this request. I feel bad because they seem like such great people and a great place to work, too. But a bird in the hand and all that. If the pharmacy ends up coming through and I have to decline the other offer, I will send them a card and some chocolate to thank them for considering me and being so kind to me in this process.

12 comments:

Laurie said...

Congratulations! You must feel wonderful!

Shannon said...

I love it when things come together and work out. This just proves you're a great person who deserves such wonderful things!

("things" isn't exactly the word I wanted, by the way, but I have a headache and can't think!)

Sylvana said...

Laurie, I feel FANTABULOUS!

Shannon, I have a headache too. I think it part stress, part heat and humidity.

evilsciencechick said...

it's nice to be wanted, isn't it? maybe they'll get in a bidding war over you!

congrats, sweetie - you deserve it!

DrMax said...

WIth your luck running this well, it's time to buy a few lottery tickets.

Sylvana said...

ESC, ACK! A bidding war?! I would be mortified! I'm a modest midwest girl-
BWAHAAAHAA!!!!

DrMax, I will know when to buy a ticket. I have great instincts, sometimes so great that I think I have the ability to influence the future. There was drawing at work for a handmade quilt. I really didn't want the quilt, so I wasn't going to enter; but my friend/boss jokingly said that I should enter and give the quilt to her. So I said, "OK. I'll get you the quilt." AND I DID! She couldn't believe it, but somehow I knew that I was going to win it. Weird but true. Ask SSB how spooky I can be.

Elizabeth said...

Luck, schmuck- she obviously deserves much more! God, what great news. Congratulations.

"AG" said...

Wow! That is just so cool!

Sylvana said...

Elizabeth,aw, thanks! This whole thing has been making me feel really uneasy because I'm not used to having people realize what I actually contribute to a job. I have had a couple bosses fire me, then call me up begging me to come back saying that they didn't really fire me. But nothing like THIS!! This I know isn't just about being short staffed, this is true appreciation.

AG, it's more than I could have hoped for. But it was difficult to tell the other place that I was going to keep my job after all.

OldRoses said...

Wow, Sylvana, that's fabulous. I'm so happy for you and your family.

The Doc said...

That's awesome. I'm really happy for you. Also: giving out chocolates is excellent boss-bribing strategies that I would never have thought of on my own. Sy's blog: come for the heartwarming stories and amusing anecdotes, stay for the career advice.

Sylvana said...

OldRoses, thanks. I have had a lot of crappy jobs in my life. Why do all the good ones have to come at me at once?

The Doc, aw! You are making me blush! People like gifts. Especially thoughtful ones - and I know that my bosses like chocolate. They won't talk to the pharmacuetical reps if they don't come bearing decent chocolate.

0 comments:

About