Matter of Perspective

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 | 0 Comments

As my birthday approaches (just 5 more days) and I am that much closer to having that extra year tacked onto my age, I am increasingly more irritated to hear the frequent comment-

"THAT'S YOUR HUSBAND?! WOW!! He looks so YOUNG!!"

Thanks.

Thanks for implying that I am too old to have a husband that looks that young. Oh, that's not my husband, that's my grandson.

**SIGH**

But then I had a conversation the other day that got me thinking a little differently.

A coworker, an older lady, asked me who I had left with at lunch. She said, "was that your, uh, boyfriend?"

I told her that he was my husband.

She says, "That was your husband?! He looks so young!"

I was a little irritated, but joked, "Oh, no. My boyfriend is way younger."

She says, "Oh, you have one of those too? I won't tell."

I laughed.

She said that she thought he must be my boyfriend, not a husband, since we were having so much fun together. She asks me how long we have been married. I told her over twelve years.

She says, "Oh my gosh! You have been married that long and you still have fun together? That is something special."

That really got me thinking. People must be assuming that for him to be my husband he must be far older than me and not so much fun. I had never thought about that before, but most women marry men that are far older than them and are more like fathers than friends. So, perhaps what people are saying isn't that he is so young compared to me, but that he is so young compared to what they had assumed a husband should be.

She is right. What we have is very special and I am grateful for it.
Thanks, SSB, for staying my "boyfriend" all these years and not turning into a "husband"!

14 comments:

evilsciencechick said...

awwwwwww...you guys are so cute!

Kev and I will stay young, goofy, and immature if you guys will too, OK? ;)

"AG" said...

I robbed the cradle. I like them younger.

The two of you are adorable and wonderful together. But the real issue is HOW OLD WILL YOU BE? oops... ;)

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

I once slipped and called my wife "my girlfriend" in a joking way once in front of strangers and she got wicked pissed. I'd much rather be referred to as her "Boy Toy" than her old man or husband.

sands of time said...

its wonderful you 2 are still in love after all that time.

http://pinklady.typepad.com/

Sylvana said...

ESC, it is a deal!!

AG, SSB is twelve days older. Actually my age is in my profile. I will be 34. And THANKS!! We do sicken people.

Shamus, was it because she thought you wanted to sound more available? It was weird after we got married. I had a hard time calling him my husband for years. It just felt wrong.

PinkLady, I knew exactly what I was looking for in a guy, what would make me truly happy, and was just lucky that I found him so early in my life. That was another example of "The Force". Out of high school I was originally intending to go to the school I just graduated from, but ended up choosing the "Midwest Ivy League School" at the last minute because of a strong feeling that I got. It is a really good thing that I trust in "The Force". :D

sideshow bob said...

I prefer to think of myself as a kept man.

DrMax said...

I prefer the term "cabana boy".

"AG" said...

Oh you mean you put your *real* age in your profile?! I did too but now that I think of it, I may change it to 21.

Lindsay Lobe said...

Don’t worry about such trifling matters; rejoice in your freedom and relaxation together.

I think maybe SSB is your best friend, and if that be the case you have wonderful relationship, maybe your heavenly twin, (marriage made in heaven!!) so who cares if he looks very young!!

Here is stab at few thoughts.

Mind continues with your new blog start
Mind is rewarded by posts from SSB ’s warm heart
Mind is refreshed, as 2 common spirits will find
Mind now enlightened is your continuing sign

Thoughts now explain it’s time to let go
Thoughts that allow 2 new spirit to grow
Thoughts to find room for 2 spirits new space
Thoughts now accept all the challenges you face

Sweep through your day with your heavenly twin
Sweep through your day to a new daily spin
Sweep through your day and embrace your sweet- heart
Sweep through your day like the worlds at your feet

Your mood is surprise, for SSB moves are so fast
Your mood please confirm is your freedom at last
You mood is surprise, for your world changes fast
Your mood I suspect is a free spirit at last

I don’t have the answers, just words for your ear
I think life is mystery, its meaning not clear
Can I sense your mood change that moment at last
Your mind is so free from hot winds of the past

Shannon said...

:)

I'd assumed SSB was your son.

Just kidding. That was a bad joke. They can't all be winners.

This was very sweet.

sands of time said...

Well im coming around now to wish you a Happy Birthday for Sunday.

http://pinklady.typepad.com/

Tayster said...

Happy early Birthday. I was a day late for Sideshow's, so being two days early with you should make all things right.

eveningmist said...

I came through June´s blog...and read that it is or it was your birthday...so...Happy Birthday from North Coast of Spain ,too;)..
Best wishes,
Maria
www.nightspellworld.blogspot.com
...so you could also pay me a visit there..!!

Sylvana said...

SSB, you are a keeper.

DrMax, I was actually going to use that term in my post. I love that skit that they would do on Mad TV.

AG, you look 21.

Lindsay, SSB is my best friend. We are Yin and Yang.

Shannon, you wouldn't be the first person to assume that. My current employer asked me that when she first saw him.

PinkLady, thanks! I will have a happy one.

Tayster, thanks! Late well wishes are just as welcome.

Romasanta, thanks! And welcome to my blog! I'll be sure to check out yours.

0 comments:

About