Happy Birthday To ME!!

Sunday, March 26, 2006 | 0 Comments

It's my birthday today. So everyone has to be nice to me.

I actually started celebrating Thursday when I had a dinner/movie party with a good friend who both SSB and I adore immensely. We made breaded fish, broccoli and cheese poppers, steamed kale and broccoli with cilantro topped with romano cheese (delicious!), and Avacado Margherita (not a Margerita, but absolutely fantastic!! *drool*).

We watched "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" with Ellen Burstyn. It was a quirky movie that I thought was also rather progressive considering the era that it was made in. But that is why Martin Scorsese is so great. I really loved the way that he captured the mother/son relationship. Throughout the movie I was thinking that was a lot like the relationship that JD and I have. A very honest portrayal. We didn't realize until she got to Tucson that this movie was what sparked the TV show "Mel's Diner". It was a lot of fun comparing what they did in the televised version versus the movie.

It was really nice to be able to see my friend again. She has been living out in the woods for several months and I missed having our get togethers. I didn't know that she was coming for a visit, so it was a nice surprise birthday gift! She was leaving on Friday to go back to the woods and I won't see her again until June so it was really great to see her.

On Friday SSB and I had a meeting at the school for JD. I really don't want to get into the details, but it was about their concern about how "not normal" he was. I was pretty content with the way that I laid down the law, so I'm racking that up as a good thing for me.

And Friday night I got nearly to the end of a video game that I had been playing - Pokemon XD (I LOVE Pokemon - so SHUT UP! It's my birthday!!). My son kept telling me to keep going even though I was half asleep. But I beat their butts even though I was semi-catatonic on the couch.

Then Saturday we went to my favorite place to buy clothes, our thrift store in town,
where I got an adorable peasant style dress!! I'm so excited. I can't wait until it is warm enough to wear it.

Because of the style, it makes me look chunkier than I actually am, BUT it also makes me look bustier, so I guess I'll take that as a good thing.

I love that store. It always has great clothes in my size. About 1/3 of my closet right now is thrift store finds from that store. I always get compliments on everything I buy there. :)

After shopping, we went to Red Lobster, where I ordered Parrot Bay Coconut Shrimp, Shrimp Scampi and crab cakes (which aren't on the menu - you have to be in the know and ask your waitress for them). Everything was delicious! Bugs-o-the-Sea -- YUMMMMMMYYY!!!!

Then we went home, cracked open a bottle of Mirassou wine, and put a puzzle together. SSB and I have never been wine fans (except for Balatore Gran Spumante - OH YUMMMY!!), but like every other wine novice that has seen "Sideways" we ran out immediately and bought a bunch of wines to try and become connoisseurs. Mirassou, so far, is the only one that was even remotely pleasant. We've decided that most people are just in denial about how bad wine actually tastes. Sort of like the coffee shop coffees that we have tried because everyone tells us how fabulous they are, but it actually tastes like dirty sock water*.

The puzzle was a 500 piece glow in the dark puzzle. We had a blast putting it together as a family (no Mirassou for JD though -- he had Cherry Coke). I think that I would like to do things like that more often. Working together as a team. Practicing communication skills. Joking and giggling. :)

We got a call from another friend that I hadn't seen in awhile. He wanted to go out with us that night, but unfortunately also had a wedding reception to go to. He was hoping that he could sneak out early, so he said that he would call us and let us know what was up. Well, his daughter wanted to stay longer, so he told her that they could. I had told him not to worry, and that I'd rather go out next weekend anyway. He said, "Done deal." I'm looking forward to it. Although we run into each other from time to time while we are about town during the day, we haven't gotten together to socialize in quite some time and I always have a great time with him. I can't wait!

Today, we walked to DQ and bought a cake for me. It's a lovely cake, isn't it? And I saved $2! Sweet! I love this design. It reminds me that spring is almost here. I'm getting anxious for that.

And the best part about this cake was that it has EXTRA FUDGE!!! I LOVE FUDGE!!

I also ordered some of my favoritest coffee in the whole wide world -- Farmer Brothers. And as I am very fussy about my coffee, so you know this is GREAT coffee. I can't wait until it comes. They are shipping it UPS so I should get it sometime this week. Ummmm... coffee!!

And my dad called to wish me a happy birthday... uh, and to have me update his webpage. Yeah, you know I'm loved!

*points to anyone who may know what this references.

27 comments:

OldRoses said...

Happy Birthday!! Sounds like it was/is fabulous. I can't decide which I like better, the dress or the cake. And thanks for the giggle. I'm so old that I saw that movie BEFORE I saw the spinoff TV show! So, once again, Happy Birthday and here's to many more . . .

evilsciencechick said...

hmmm...dirty sock water...

is that from south park? the tweak's coffee episode?

and...HAPPY BIRTHDAY SYLVANA! save some cake for meeeeeeeee!

Sylvana said...

OldRoses, that movie came out when I was two. And I LOVE my new dress, so it made me happy that you liked it too!

ESC, older than South Park, but it is from an animated series (not the obvious Simpsons though -- although I guess they did do everything)

sideshow bob said...

I know what it references, but I won't spoil your little game!

Happy birthday, sweetie! I love love you!

Sylvana said...

SSB, of course you would know this. You are my other half!
And we totally have to get that on DVD if it ever comes out. It's a conspiracy I tell you!!

I LOVE YOU TOO!!

The Doc said...

Happy Birthday, Sy! Sounds like you had a really good time. And as for the animated show, I'm going to guess Daria? I'm probably wrong, but I think I remember something like that...

Sylvana said...

The Doc, thanks! I did!

I never watched Daria. The show I'm talking about was on Nickelodeon.

Flubberwinkle said...

Happy Birthday, Sylvana!
Cake looks great! Hope you have a post-birthday party clebration as well!

Otto Man said...

Happy Birthday. And hey, who doesn't love fudge?

"AG" said...

Happy Birthday! I should have a DQ cake in your honor! :)

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

Happy Birthday! I got nothin funny to add to that.

Shannon said...

Last night, I went to Dairy Queen and immediately thought of you guys. (I bought a box of cherry dilly bars and a butterfinger blizzard) It must have been a psychic celebration of your birthday!! Happy birthday. Your weekend sounds like it was fabulous!

I'm one of those people who like wine. I don't like sweet wines though...I always thought I hated wine because I'd always try the sweet stuff...I discovered I like a dry, red wine.

Sylvana said...

Flubberwinkle, I'm working on it! I'm supposed to go out with my friends this weekend since they weren't free last weekend. And I'm getting a new cell phone and a delivery of my favorite coffee this week! YAY!!

Otto Man, I would think them very strange indeed!

AG, we always think of you when we go to DQ now. DQ ROCKS!

Shamus, well, it's hard to have material all the time. Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Shannon, see, and I hate the dry stuff. I love sweet sparkling wines. And that's about where my love for wines ends. Unless its in something or mixed with something.
Hope you got your goods home safely.

sands of time said...

it sounds like you had an awesome birthday Sylvana.

http://pinklady.typepad.com/

Lyvvie said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Hope you had a super special day, ate lots of extra fudge *drool* and had lots of Laugh-Out-Loud moments where you can't breath and almost pee, (but you don't pee and you catch your breath.)

I agree, wine is icky.

"AG" said...

Sy, I can't think of a lovelier compliment than you two thinking of me at DQ. :)

Irb said...

Happy birthday, Schmoopy Angel Nummy Muffin Cocoa Butter!!!!!

And was the "sock water" reference from Ren and Stimpy?

Sylvana said...

PinkLady, I like to celebrate!

Lyvvie, I like laughing till I almost pee, but don't. We do a lot of laughing in our family.

AG, you are welcome!

Irb, aw! Thanks, that's so squishy!
And you are close, but it is a show that never made it to DVD. It's a conspiracy I tell you!! It is a show where the characters are animals.

ORF said...

YAY! Happy birthday (a bit late ;)

Sylvana said...

ORF, thanks! Better late than never!

Randi said...

happy birthday late!!!

Heather said...

Happy late late birthday! Hope it was great!

Sylvana said...

THANKS!!! I'm feelin' the love!

Astrid said...

How can anyone not love birthdays, right? Happy Belated Birthday to you, Sylvana!!!!

Lindsay Lobe said...

Hi Sylvana
Happy Birthday. I know you like gardening and are looking forward to sprintime !!so I have attempted this birthday poem for you !! as SSB's sweetheart. I hope you like it .

Spring is in the air in the rustle of breeze
Spring in the air in the whispers of the trees
And I know natures coming so soon
To deliver to you her sweet blooms

Spring is in the air, so make your fresh start
Spring is in the air so grow your sweet heart
And I know natures coming so soon
To deliver to you her sweet blooms

Spring is in the air, birds in the sky
Spring is in the air, call to you as they fly
And I know natures coming so soon
To deliver to you her sweet blooms

Birds call you back to mother sweet earth
To plant many flowers from your fresh dirt
And I know natures coming so soon
To deliver to you her sweet blooms

Sonia said...

Happy Birthday, Sylvana. A belated congratulations to you!
(((Many hugs)))

Sylvana said...

Thanks Astrid, Lindsay, and Sonia! I had a great birthday!

0 comments:

About