Outta That Hell Hole

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 | 0 Comments

SSB's first day of freedom was today. He got up with me and JD so that he could see us off for the day. Imagine that; getting up at 6am even though he really didn't have to, just so he could spend some time with his family. Isn't he a great guy?

I'm so glad to see him out of that hell hole. I used to work there. In fact I worked there for two years before SSB started there. The money was good, but the work was dangerous and the people there suck ass. So I insisted that he be allowed to work with me. I was sick of getting lazy assholes for partners and I didn't want SSB to have to suffer them either.

We were a fabulous team. Our production was the best on our line. Many people took offense to that (uh, did I mention that these people suck ass?). They tried to get us in trouble all the time so that we would not be allowed to work together anymore. They even would come to us and tell us that it wasn't natural to spend all your time with your spouse and still get along. They really hated that we got along so well.

Well, they got their wish when I got injured at work and ended up not being able to work there anymore. Having to leave that job at first seemed like a terrible thing, but once I realized that I no longer had to suffer the insanity of that place, I realized that fate had done me a great favor. Even though it meant that I would have an injury that would cause me pain for the rest of my life, I no longer had to go to that crazy place. I didn't even realize how crazy that place was making me until I got out.

I think that SSB will be thinking the same thing. We went out and celebrated last night at our favorite Chinese restaurant. Sure, it will be hard now that he isn't making that money and we won't have insurance, but in the end, we both know that it was time for him to move on.

What is kind of freaky is that two years ago, at this very time of year, he told me that in two years he no longer wanted to be working at that job. He didn't know that they would be shutting the place down, he just wanted to know that he wouldn't be working there forever, so he picked a deadline. Weird how that worked out so he wouldn't even have to quit. Because the place is shutting down he will get severance, unemployment, and re-education. All things that he wouldn't have been able to get if he had just quit. I love how things just work themselves out sometimes.

17 Comments

Close this window Jump to comment form
Blogger sideshow bob said...

I looking at this as an opportunity rather than a crisis...I've been smiling pretty much ever since I walked out of that place for the last time!

November 02, 2005 11:25 PM

Blogger DrMax said...

Good luck SSB. Most people I know who hate their jobs do so because the companies they work for don't trust them enough to do it. It's the feeling of powerlessness that drains you, that your opinions don't matter even though you could save them a lot of time and money if they'd listen. Do enjoy the time to reflect and recharge. Skip watching the Packer too for a few weeks, you don't want to ruin you good frame of mind.

November 03, 2005 2:27 AM

Blogger nope said...

Congratulations on SSB's sweet ending! No bridges burned for either of you, and nothing but a pleasant future ahead! Couldn't be any better!

November 03, 2005 8:47 AM

Blogger sands of time said...

Well good luck to SSB and whatever he decides to do in the future.You can do anything you want if you put your mind to it.

November 03, 2005 9:13 AM

Blogger Lightning Bug's Butt said...

Love the title of this blog.

November 03, 2005 2:26 PM

Blogger OldRoses said...

Career change! Career change! If they are paying for re-education, is there something SSB has always wanted to do? I did that. I'm still paying off the student loans, but it was worth every penny. And I got laid off from the job I was trying to get away from halfway through school! Thank goodness I had made the decision to change careers already.

November 04, 2005 12:35 AM

Blogger Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

Let me guess, did you guys work at a Nuclear Power Plant?

Because that can be a dangerous place to work.

November 04, 2005 7:24 AM

Blogger Shannon said...

Free at last! Congrats to SSB!

There's Title 1 retraining money for displaced workers. What's he going to study?

November 04, 2005 2:09 PM

Blogger sideshow bob said...

Dr. Max- I think I'm finally in the right frame of mind to endure the rest of the season. So much more relaxed! And we could use a nice early draft pick.

shannon- I'm going be be an IT geek, hooking up networks and such. I plan on working for a company where I can be the coolest nerd.

November 04, 2005 2:54 PM

Blogger evilsciencechick said...

you're the coolest nerd in school, SSB ;)

November 04, 2005 3:10 PM

Blogger Beo said...

Everything happens for a reason Sylvana. It was meant to be, but wasn't meant to be is how much pain you'll be in for the rest of your life. What's up with that?

What is SSB, a cattle wrangling facility? Sounds crazy, and is insurance covering your injury?

Oh well. It's all apart of the plan.:)

November 04, 2005 3:29 PM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Dr. Max, Packer fans never give up hope!!

Indiaiynke, thanks!

Pink Lady, he's a smart guy. He will do well!

Welcome to my blog LBB! And thanks!

OldRoses, I guess SSB already answered what he is planning to do. He is eligible for grants and some money from a displaced worker fund...if there is any money in it.

Shamus, you'd think so with all the morons working there- but actually we worked in a place with sheet metal and very heavy machinery, oh and morons. Morons and drunks. Both very dangerous to work with around sheet metal and heavy machinery.

Shannon, he is getting some money through regular grants. We are waiting to find out about the displaced worker funding.

ESC, he will be the Tech-Zen Master!

Beo, my case with my employer has been settled- and in my favor, I might add. As part of the agreement they made me promise that I would never work there again. WELL DUH!!!

November 04, 2005 5:48 PM

Blogger Quz Boss said...

Maybe once or twice I was in a deep hole, I'm still in it but out. Glad dat yo friend is outta it ;-) PEACE

November 05, 2005 8:40 AM

Blogger Quz Boss said...

Maybe once or twice I was in a deep hole, I'm still in it but out. Glad dat yo friend is outta it ;-) PEACE

November 05, 2005 8:40 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Welcome to my blog! When I get in a deep hole, I try to find some positives. They make nice footings with which to get out.

November 05, 2005 6:14 PM

Blogger Scott said...

COngratulations and good luck, SSB! What a crazy thing for someone to say, that it "isn't natural" to spend that much time with a spouse. If only I had that opportunity.

On a side note, I never though to read the words, "suck ass" on your blog.

November 07, 2005 8:57 AM

Blogger Sylvana said...

Scott, I think those people married the wrong people!
Oh, and I went to The Sailor School of Language. You should hear me when I go home for the holidays! The closer I get to my parents house, the filthier my mouth gets!

November 07, 2005 6:47 PM

0 comments:

About