Re-posting for the Holidays

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 | 0 Comments

I have a couple of posts that I'm working on, but would like to revisit one of my first posts since it is so appropriate for the time of year. I've been hearing a lot of people complain about the same things that I address in this posts, so I thought that I would try to empower people to make Christmas better.

Bah, Humbug!
December 13, 2004

Christmas has been one of my least favorite holidays for quite a few years (since early childhood really). It has come to symbolize inadequacy, disappointment, family feuds, ungratefulness, and sickening materialism. The calculations one must perform in order to get just the right kind of gifts for the right amount of people to avoid appearing to favor one loved one over another is way too complicated for a holiday that really is supposed to symbolize good will toward your fellow human being. This holiday has been the source of many a family brawl and has always lead to ill feelings in my family. Not to mention the stores during this time of year become battlegrounds where only the ruthless survive. Because of these reasons I went years without really celebrating it. Then one day I had a brilliant idea. Instead of getting gifts for people who already have everything that they need, why not get presents for those who don't? That made so much sense I couldn't believe that I had lived so long without thinking of it before. It perfectly fits the spirit of the season and it finally makes me feel good about Christmas again. I know that the people who get the gifts will appreciate them. It gives me a greater appreciation for what I have. No more returns and re-gifting (come on, we all do it!). I now look forward to Christmas; it has regained it's meaning for me. I think that all the people that have grown cynical of this holiday should try it. If enough people do it I feel the world can be a much better place to live. If you still feel that you need to get something for your family members, you can give them a card that says that a donation has been made in their name to whatever organization you decide to give your gifts to. I do Toys for Tots (there's just something about a bunch of tough Marines giving toys to needy kids that melts my heart) and I buy a cart full of groceries for the local food shelf. How can you not feel fantastic about that? People in need have a happier holiday and I get a high that last the whole season.

12 comments:

Wendy A said...

Yes! and random acts of kindness. That truly is the christmas spirit.
I once stopped the car on a busy highway late on Christmas eve and gave a poor homeless lady pushing a shopping cart full or her own possessions a $50.00 bill. The surprise on her face was the best present ever.

I still buy to much for my kids.

Derek Knight said...

There are certain people on our gift list who'm I've stopped trying to please and started getting suitable "re-gifting" items so they can just wrap it up and give it away. As far as the "a donation has been made in your name" stuff goes, just make sure that it's an organization or cause that the recipient would support anyhow...Otherwise it just seems preachy...My uncle had a tree planted in our name somewhere in Africa on Christmas. No picture, no map...Just the promise that somewhere in Africa, I have a tree. I wonder how my tree is doing from time to time...

Sylvana said...

Wendy A, I like to do things like that too.

Derek, I don't think that donating food to our local food shelf or toys to Toys for Tots would really be stepping on anyone's toes. But seriously, I would not care because I am constantly suffering the preachiness of my family, so much so that at this point it would be an added bonus if I knew that they felt that they were getting a taste of it back.

Anonymous said...

Nice thoughts.

Hope you & SSB have a festive time this year. Don't forget to leave the milk and cookies out for the big guy in red.

Kari said...

aww, that's really sweet of you! a friend of mine likes to buy mc d's value meals every once in a while and then give it to a homeless guy.

sands of time said...

Hope you have a wonderful christmas holiday

http://pinklady.typepad.com/

Anonymous said...

My brother got my mom & grandma donations to an African village for Christmas. My grandma got two trees dedicated to her, and my mom got a goat. I don't know what that says about my mom, but I think it's a good thought.

Merry Christmas, Sy.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Sylvana! Best wishes to you and your family.

AG said...

Merry Christmas!

Sylvana said...

Shamus, everyone puts out cookies for Santa, but what about his reindeer?

Kari, I've done that before.

The Doc, did your mom get an actual goat? That would be a very interesting gift.

OL, Sandy, and AG, thanks, you too!

Anonymous said...

Now a goat - that's a great gift!

That's the perfect post for me to read today - I had a pretty annoying Christmas and this made me feel better! Hope you & SSB had a great holiday!

Sylvana said...

Heather, aw, thanks! We did. quiet, but good.

0 comments:

About