Sushimania

Sunday, April 01, 2007 | 0 Comments

I have been on a big sushi kick lately. I have a friend that makes really good sushi and I decided that I would have to try to make my own sushi. I mentioned in a previous post that I bought all the ingredients for basic sushi when I went to World Market. Well, I finally got around to trying it out. It really wasn't that hard. I wasn't planning on making high-end authentic sushi with all the ceremony; I just wanted something yummy to eat.

The full size sushi I made was a little too big to eat in one bite. You really wouldn't want these plugging your sushi-hole when you suddenly realize you maybe put a wee too much wasabi on them! And they are a little messy to try and eat in two bites.

What to do?

Well sushi-poppers, of course!!

All I did for these was to cut the nori in half and make the fillings more narrow.

They were the perfect size for dipping and popping in one bite. They were a little harder to roll, but definitely worth it. And they are a great healthy snack/meal. It's definitely a great way to get more veggies in your diet (we live in the Midwest, not a real great place to get fabulously fresh seafood easily, so I used a variety of veggies in mine with a little tamago for extra flavor and protein).

I wonder if you could lose weight eating sushi...

8 comments:

Laurie said...

Good for you! I love sushi but I haven't tried to make any, yet.

Shannon said...

My friends and I sometimes have "sushi" nights where we make homemade sushi. Sometimes we use tofu or cooked chicken in the rolls. I keep trying to make a "Thai peanut chicken" roll. It hasn't been sucessful yet.

Sylvana said...

Laurie, if you can roll a burrito, you definitely can make sushi! The rice is the trickiest part.

Shannon, SSB and I were just talking today about all the blasphemous things we could make sushi rolls out of - SSB says, "It's FUSION!!"

OldRoses said...

YUM! Sushi! What a great idea. I've never tried to make it. I'll definitely look into it. Thanks for the great mealtime idea.

Derek Knight said...

re: losing weight via sushi.

nope. I'm still fat.

Sylvana said...

OldRoses, I have had sushi as a meal about 6 times in the last week! The mini ones are pretty hard to roll, so I would start full-sized first.

Derek, eh, it was worth a shot.

Lyvvie said...

Your sushi looks great!! I want some! (although fresh, because those are a week old now) I always use too much rice.

Perhaps I should do this for lunch - the kids love sushi.

And yes, you can lose weight eating sushi.

Sylvana said...

Lyvvie, it is very tempting to use a lot of rice. Glad to hear that your kids love it. My son's friends all turn their nose up at it. My son, on the other hand, loves anything from the sea.

0 comments:

About