"I'm A GLUTEN!!"

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 | 0 Comments

OK, I'm beginning to think that I really hate myself. I was over at Lyvvie's blog and read about her participation this year in NaNoWriMo.

NaNoWriMo? What the hell?

So I Googled it and came up with this. Well, now that's just cool. A novel in a month. I have dabbled in writing before. In fact, I started a novel when I was 10 and got about a quarter of the way done, even. It was a great excuse to stay inside during recess so I wouldn't have to deal with playground politics. Just a couple years ago I found it and thought that it would be pure drivel (since I was writing it when I was 10!) but it was actually pretty good. So maybe I have a talent.

This would not be the first time that I have had a go at "scratch fiction". I took a creative writing course during my first go-round in college (you know, the one where I partied a lot) and would quite often have to pull a story out of my ass at the last possible minute (you know, cause I partied a lot). And they weren't that bad. Really!

So, I signed up for NaNoWriMo.
What does that mean?
That means that I will have to some how pull about 6 pages of writing per day out of my ass again. 1670 words a day.
Sounds like a lot, huh?
Well, this post so far is almost over 250 words, and it took me about 15 minutes to write. I think that I can handle a mere 1670!

It took me longer than that to think up a User Name while I was registering for the project. SSB started to laugh, "That's so ironic! Getting writer's block at 'User Name'!!"

I signed him up, too.

(BTW - the title of this post comes from one of my favorite TV shows which is no longer on the air, "Rocko's Modern Life". Heffer yells this out as he laments about not being able to keep his hands off foods - even other people's food. He's not very bright and mispronounces "glutten" for additional humor!)

11 comments:

evilsciencechick said...

a few weeks ago, I was clicking through the channels, and nickelodeon was showing rocko's modern life!!!!

I was very exited.


bath day is a very dangerous day.


good luck with the writing!

Sylvana said...

ESC, I am still crossing my fingers for DVDs. They have EVERYTHING ELSE on DVD!!!

OldRoses said...

I've always wanted to take a creative writing course. What's it like? Is it hard?

The Doc said...

I have failed NaNoWriMo three years in a row, and I'm going to fail again this year (especially with my practicum). But that doesn't mean I'm not going to try!

Sylvana said...

OldRoses, my professor was kind of bitter. I don't think I really learned anything - it was just forced writing for a grade. But writing is

The Doc, I'm sure I won't make it either. But I think it will be a good experience.

Shamus O'Drunkahan said...

I'm sure the speed novel stuff won't be worse than the crap on Oprah's book list.

Because her list is pure crap.

Derek Knight said...

I think if I weren't so damn busy, I might have tried this. Best of luck!

Sylvana said...

Shamus, I was hoping that I could sell my crap. I could really use the money.

Derek, I am not expecting to meet the 50,000 word mark; but I want to see what I can come up with.

sands of time said...

Well good luck with your novel.I know i'd never find the time to write one

http://pinklady.typepad.com/

DrMax said...

Hey Syl, still alive. I signed up for this to. Did one day and havn't gotten back to it since. I may have to canel my book tour.

Sylvana said...

Pink, I am having trouble finding time myself, but if this will help motivate me at all to get something written, I will call it a success.

DrMax, hey fellow NANOWRIMO! I've written three days and got over 2500 words so far. At this pace I should have something ready for Reader's Digest by the end of November.

0 comments:

About